// thirty four //

"I wouldn't scream if I were you." They warned. "I'm not afraid to use a melder and you will not enjoy it."

He pointed the silver weapon at Sophie's forehead. "A few seconds will stun you. Any more will cause permanent damage. Do you understand?" 

Sophie's voice shook as she spoke. "You wouldn't do that with humans around." There weren't many people but some people were taking strolls. Surely one of them would notice a bunch of 12 year olds being held at melder-point.

The three kidnappers laughed.

They laughed at them.

"They have no idea we're here." He pulled a small black orb from his cloak. "This is an Obscurer. It bends light and sound around us like a force field. All anyone can see or hear is wind and a slight distortion in the air."

Adora felt alone up above.

"I don't know how you escaped." The leader hissed. "But you can be assured it won't happen again."

One goon eyed Adora and circled around the base of the lantern. "Don't you want to help your friends?" The other kidnappers had cuffed their hands and feet together.

If looks could kill, this kidnapper would've. The death glare Adora had given him could send shivers down anyone's side. The kidnapped even glanced away.

"If you're not the black swan, who are you?" Sophie demanded.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Sophie seemed to go still. Adora assumed that Sophie was transmitting for help. Adora was watching the kidnapped like a hawk until he looked away. "She was transmitting again!" He yelled.

"Never heard a call that loud either! We need to get out of here in case someone heard."

"Agreed—and don't try that again unless you want to find out what the melder would do to your powerful little brain. Understood?"

"What are you gonna do with us?" Adora shouted.

"That's none of your business. Get her down now!"

Dex hadn't said a word since they arrived.

In one rapid burst, Dex had jumped free from his bonds and warned Sophie.

He had made one of the goons drop his weapons.

A different goon grabbed the melder and blasted Dex in the chest.

He flew backwards before collapsing on the ground. Dex's body began jerking in a seizure.

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear." The leader growled. He dusted off his cape and snatched the melder. He shot Dex again.

Dex thrashed and kicked and gurgled.

"Stop!" Adora screamed. A blank stare wiped across Dex's face.

He's just unconscious. Adora assured, sending a message to Sophie. He'll be fine...

"We'll cooperate! Just stop." Sophie said weakly.

"Of course you will. You have no choice." They blasted Dex another time. The leader tossed the weapon to Adora's assigned kidnapper.

"Get down." One of the goons commanded.

Adora was defiant. But she didn't want Dex to die so instead she started moving her footing, making it look like she was trying to get down. "How do you feel?" She asked her goon.

"What?"

"How do you feel?" She asked again. "Having a whole elaborate plan just to hurt some children? I haven't even gone through puberty yet. I am a prepubescent child who you are hellbent to harm. How does that feel?"