// twenty two //

"Now you're calling me at home and dragging me out of bed? Maybe it was better when you were afraid of me." Elwin teased. 

"Exposure therapy, good for the soul." Adora joked as Elwin examined the burns on Sophie's hands. 

"Now how did you managed that?" Elwin's smile faded. 

"I was just trying to bottle the light from Elementine." 

"Elementine?" Elwin spread a thick salve all over Sophie's palm. "Never heard of it." 

"Told you it wasn't real." Dem said, leaning over to see what Elwin was doing. 

"But I found it." Sophie insisted. "Adora knows it too!" 

Adora thought back. "Maybe we know it as a different name...? I mean I wouldn't be surprised." Adora reasoned. " I know it's real at the very least. I saw it in a human star book." 

"Maybe... the scope got really hot when I flipped the latch and it burned me." 

"Never heard of that one happening. Always an adventure with you Sophie— I'll give you that." Elwin wrapped her hand in a blue cloth.

Elwin treated Sophie a bit more. "Did you at least bottle the light?" 

"I don't know..." 

"You did, I saw it when I picked it up from the floor." Adora answered. 

Elwin stared at her. "You saw, a burning hot bottle that gives terrible burns... and you picked it up." 

"I mean yeah." 

"And you didn't think that would hurt?" 

Adora clicked her tongue. "In my defense, I'm kind of stupid. Also the bottle was cold." 

"Did you know the bottle was cold before you picked it up?" Elwin asked, unwrapping Sophie's hand to reveal Sophie's palm, red and raw but no longer too bruised. 

"In my defense..." Adora repeated. "I'm dumb." 

Elwin looked through his bag. "Huh..." he said, looking at the hand. "That was supposed to work better... wait here, I'm getting a stronger balm." Elwin glittered away.

"You don't have to wait with me." Sophie said, looking at Dex and Adora. 

Adora just laughed. "As if." 

"Like I would leave you in the middle of nowhere at night injured. What kind of friend do you think I am?" 

"But you must be cold." 

"Nope. I can regulate my body temperature. See?" Dex touched Sophie's cheek and Adoras hand. His hand was in fact quite warm. "Want me to teach you how to do it tomorrow?" 

"We can't... We're going to Fitz's and Biana's." Adora gave a small smile. 

"Ugh. Another day at the palace. Be sure to wear your crown!" 

"Are you ever gonna stop that?" Sophie looked at Dex. 

"Doesn't look like it." 

"They're my friends. I wish you could be a little nicer about it." Sophie admitted. 

"Hey, I hold a lot back." 

Adora laughed. "Somehow I doubt that. 

Dex started ripping the grass. "You just like seeing Wonderboy. Please don't tell me you have some stupid crush on him." 

Adora snorted. "Of course not!" Sophie defended. 

Dex kept ripping the grass. "The what is it? Why do you like him?"