TRUTH

I should’ve known there was a possibility that his wife would be in the car, but I was hoping she wouldn’t.

I took a deep breath and opened the door and approached them so they didn’t have to get out of the car. Kalvin rolled down his window.

“Hi Essence.”

“Hello. Thanks for bringing Kevin.”

I could see Ronda staring at the mansion in disbelief and curiosity.

“You don’t have to get out.”

My words fell on deaf ears. Kalvin got out of the car, and my stomach sank.

“No, I don’t mind getting him for you.”

I noticed Ronda take out her phone…she was taking a video or picture of the estate, and my annoyance grew.

“What is she doing?” I asked Kalvin.

“She’s probably in awe of how big this place is. Is it just you and your friend living here?”

“Yes.”

He chuckled. “What the hell does your friend do for a living?”

“He’s my man and does very well for himself.”

Kalvin looked me up and down, then opened the back door. I watched Ronda finish taking a video or pictures, then started to text.

“Hi Mommy!”

“Hi baby, I missed you!”

I hugged my son, forgetting how irritating Kalvin and his wife were. All I wanted to do was get back inside.

“I will drop him off on Monday.”

“Actually, I was wondering if you could keep him for the week?”

I got excited. “Yeah, of course.”

“Thanks…”

Kalvin got close to my ear and whispered.  “I’m taking Ronda on a surprise vacation.”

I moved away. “Nice…”

“Is everything okay?” A deep voice asked in the distance.

“Min! Min!!”

Kevin saw Amin and ran towards the door. At first, I was smiling, then I remembered Ronda didn’t meet Amin.

“Hey, my guy! You’ve been good?” Amin hugged my son.

Kalvin’s demeanor changed. It seemed as if he wanted to protest their display of affection towards each other. I’m kind of surprised he kept quiet.

Ronda’s eyes squinted as she got out of the car. She walked over to Kalvin and whispered in his ear. It was time to end the conversation.

“Well, you two, thanks again.”

Amin was already walking away with Kevin.

“I thought his name was Bellamy?” Kalvin asked.

“Yeah…It’s hard for Kevin to say his name sometimes.”

Ronda crossed her arms over her chest. “That’s not the same guy. Who was the guy that was with you at the club?”

“I’m right here.”

I heard Bellamy’s deep voice and looked down. He stood behind me.

“Are you okay, baby?” He asked.

“Y-Yeah.”

He looked at the couple. “Is there a problem?”

Kalvin’s eyes widened, and he backed away.