OVER

It's been two years since my ex-husband, Kalvin, divorced me and got full custody of our son.

I know I was in the wrong, but I didn't think things would turn out this bad so quickly for me.

We were married for four years, me at 19 and him at 26. He was in the military for two years, then left to pursue his career in engineering.

When our son turned two, I was finally getting myself back and in a routine that worked for our family. We lived in a wonderful neighborhood, a big house, and I was a stay at home mom.

Our relationship wasn't perfect, but life was good.

One night, I decided to go out with some friends for a birthday celebration, but I had too much to drink. A video of me kissing a man was taken without my knowledge, and a month later, it got back to my husband.

Within six months, we were divorced.

I wished I never went out that night or at least didn't drink. Kalvin was my first and only love, I hurt him so bad, and he hates me now.

I lost everything: my son, home, husband, my reputation, and I was a wreck. Sinking into depression, I took an overdose of pills when I moved back in with my parents.

I was hospitalized, and my mental state and role as a mother was put under questioning.

A year later, Kalvin remarried, filed for full custody, and won. Now our son is turning three, and I'm slowly getting my life back in order.

His wife, Ronda, is a beautiful, nice, and friendly woman. She really stepped up with being a step-mom and is expecting their first child together any day now.

She was the one who reached out for me to come to my son's third birthday party. If it was up to Kalvin, I would never see our son.

I was nervous since I haven't seen him in a few months.

I've been in my new apartment for six months now and found a decent job at a department store.

My last supervised visit with my son didn't go too well. He didn't want me to hold him or talk to me. I basically just watched him play with kids he didn't know. But I was happy since I got to see him.

I pulled up to the home I once lived in. I haven't been here in over a year, but it felt like just yesterday, I was watering flowers in the yard.

I took a deep breath and grabbed my gift for my son.

"Okay, Essence...chin up and positive thoughts."

After pep talking myself, I got out of the car and walked to the door.

***

My wife, Ronda, is the best thing that's ever happened to me besides my son.
She's supportive, beautiful, and has a very compassionate heart, but sometimes I wish she wasn't so nice.

I got the news that she invited my ex-wife, Essence, to my son's party. Yes, she is Kevin's mother, but I don't think she earned the right to be around him yet.

"Fix your face."

Ronda whispered to me. I smiled at how beautiful she looked pregnant and was excited to meet our daughter soon.

There was a knock on the door and my mother went to open it. My smile instantly went away when I saw Essence.

"Hi, it's so good to see you," my mother gave her a hug.

"Thanks, same to you, Mrs. Rachel."

Her eyes landed on me, and she froze. Essence looked scared to see me... she knew I didn't want her here.