Blake: Kanto.

"Ash!"

Spiked brunette hair flew weakly in the air before the owner looked around. He sighed before going over to a tree.

"Ash?" A ravenette popped his head down, hazel eyes meeting dark eyes.

"Hey Gary. What's up?" The brunette, Gary, sighed.

"You do know what day it is, right? Gramps is giving out starters!"

"You also know that he wouldn't let me choose either of the main three even if I was an hour early, right?" Gary frowned.

"You're still going on about that?"

"I'm only speaking the truth. Your gramps said it, not me." He pulled back into the tree before rustling filled the air. "But in all honesty, yes. I know what day it is. I'm not going to be late. I was just waiting for the trio who said they would be there 3 hours early to get their starters and leave us in peace." Gary smiled as Ash came down.

"Oh good... I was worried you weren't coming. Let's go!" Ash smiled softly as they headed towards Pallet Town.

~

Upon arriving, the Professor was waiting.

"It's about time. You are an hour late." Ash frowned.

"You said you weren't going to give me a normal starter anyways."

"I was talking about Gary." The brunette frowned.

"Gramps! Can we please leave it?" The Professor sighed.

"Right. Come on in." A grin was shared between the two boys as they entered. "Sadly, since you're late, I gave the other three away." Gary paused as he brought out two others. "So I had to improvise."

"Improvise...?" The two pokeballs popped open, revealing two other pokemon.

"These two are Eevee and Pikachu, two of a kind. I'll let you two figure out who wants who." Gary glanced at Ash, who smiled.

"You choose. I'll take the other." Gary smiled before stepping forward and picking up Eevee, who seemed puzzled. Pikachu, obviously knowing it was going with Ash, looked him up and down.

~

"Are you ok?"

Ash nodded as he petted Pikachu. The electric mouse didn't like him until he activated his powers, putting peace in the small pokemon. Before? It had zapped him several times. His hand was still shaking from the electricity. Gary gulped as he wrapped his shaking arm up.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

~

If you couldn't tell, Gary was very good at making a balanced team. Securing an Oddish, he figured that his team could make it to Erika before needing to have a change made.

As for Ash, He got a Caterpie and Nidoran (Male) and was barely keeping up.

But one thing Ash had against Gary was his trust in his pokemon and abilities. After resting with them outside their pokeballs, they were able to trust him.

When he rescued a Charmander, that's when his team caught up with Gary's. Charmander was able to help the others train and even deal with Erika, who was a struggle. While Gary caught up with an Arcanine and Blastoise (Oddish evolved too), Ash was keeping up until Blaine.

By that point, Ash had bonded with Lapras and Dratini, which surprised Gary.

~

"Woah!" Ash smiled as Charizard, Butterfree, and Dragonite flew high in the air. Gary's Blastoise, Vileplume, Arcanine and Eevee stayed close by, playing with Ash's Nidoking, Lapras and Pikachu.

"I know."

"That's amazing..." Ash smiled at his childhood friend, who was mesmerized by the trio in the sky. He then met Ash's eye before smiling. "You're so much stronger than me."

"Yeah, but you have the upper hand because of your wits. It'll be wits vs strength." Gary giggled as they bumped fists.

~

The one problem during the journey was Team Rocket. Some trio including Jessie, James and Meowth were annoying.

"I'm sorry... did you just zap them with an enhanced thunderbolt?"

"If I say no, would you believe me?"

In the end, they did defeat the leader. Well, Ash did,

"Again with the Thunderbolt."

"I thought I said no."

"I never said I would believe you."

~

Gary gulped as they approached the Pokemon League. According to the Professor, the other three had arrived a while ago.

"Hey Gary?"

"Yeah Ash?" He turned to the Oak.

"If I lose, I want it to be you that beats me. Got it?" Gary paused before nodding.

"Don't think I'll go easy then."

"Bet."

~

Ash wasn't being nice. While Gary was giving them a small chance, Ash tore them down (In his defense, they kept talking down on him). He only had to tend to Gary once, after an opponent said he only won because of who his gramps was.

"It's not true-" Ash held him close, letting him stain his shoulder with tears. "I am a good trainer-"

"Don't let that guy get to your head." He pulled away and cleaned the Oak Grandson's face up.

"But-"

"Gary." He went quiet as Ash smiled. "You've kept up with me. I have luck on my side. You don't. It doesn't matter who you are related to. If you can keep up with me, your gramps has no say in your abilities." Gary paused before nodding. "Now, are you ready to finish this?" Gary looked at him before realizing. He got to his feet instantly.

"That championship is mine!"

"Then take it from me!"

~

Ash forgot about the Blastoise. He totally did. Watching the Water Starter slam into his team was not fun. And when it came to Butterfree, he shifted to Arcanine just to taunt him.

"No. Your gramps doesn't control your abilities. You're still a snot like before!"

"As you said. Wits against Strength."

"Bleh."

~

The duo ignored the taunting from the others as they watched the sunset.

"So... what now?"

"I'm heading to Johto. Wanna join?"

"Ash, did you ask me if I wanted to join you on a second journey?"

"You can say no."

"I can. But I won't." Ash smiled as Gary wrapped an arm around him. "I'll head home, pack my stuff, and meet you in Vermillion."

"Not before I get to Viridian." They locked eyes before the race was on.