𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷𝟾

Outskirts of Shimla

Reet's POV

It was five in the morning when Arjun woke me up. Not by poking me this time or teasing or something else. He just gently patted me and told me to be ready, for we will be leaving. No sarcasms and all. 

Perhaps, for the first time I would be seeing his real self. Maybe. 

I freshened myself with the hot water we were provided and packed my bag, stepping down through the creaking staircases. The bright sunlight greeted me as I opened the door, the cool breeze sweeping through my hairs, making me feel fresh. Traversing my eyes, I found Arjun talking with a few individuals, with a baby in his arms.

He was occasionally booping his little nose with his and even raised him up in the air. 

I didn't know why but a soft smile stretched on my face, and for a moment I felt happy. 

I felt happy seeing him happy. 

He spotted me after a while and his smile diminished a bit, and he waved his hand to call me up. I suddenly hauled out of my trance, realizing I was staring at him way to longer than required-

"Hey Reet! Come over!" He waved again. 

I walked over to him, plastering a smile. Realizing we had to pretend to be married. The old man seemed friendly, he blessed us before we walked up towards Arjun's car. 

I could never forget their gratefulness, a part of me was hurt lying to them. But the circumstances....we couldn't just help. The entire set of villagers came up to our car, while I took the front seat, in order to see us off. Simple, innocent and hardworking. 

Arjun pulled his gear with a neutral expression on his face, an eerie silence filling inside. Very different from the last time we were in the car. 

The silence was......to be honest, it appeared scary. This was very different, I was always used to his teases and arguments and this was just not suiting me. So much formal, all of a sudden. But the fact that even I didn't have anything to say and a part of me wanted this newfound silence to prevail.

Let it grill down into our hearts. 

I started feeling a bit feverish midway, scrunching my forehead realizing that I had dozed off. It was probably an hour more to Chandigarh; luckily we found out that we had diverted far away from Shimla, so we had to take a re-route from there. 

"Arjun...can I-"

"Last chain, side pocket." He responded even before I could complete my sentence. I blinked at him for a while in disbelief, "And yes, go off to sleep after a while." I nodded, grabbing his backpack from behind and taking out the paracetamol. I punched out a tablet and gulped it down with water. 

This Arjun is new to me. Completely new. 

I wanted the bickering Arjun back for some reason, but still I wanted this Arjun to be there. 

Heck, what even I am thinking about? 

Chandigarh would be there after sometime and we would be practically bidding each other good bye.

Forever and ever. There would be no Arjun and Reet again. No more bickering, no more troubles and no arguments. 

No more weird feelings and all. All would be a memory which would subside. My jaws clenched a bit at the thought, a small pit forming in my stomach as the phrase repeated in my brain, causing my heart to sting a bit.

What the hell is wrong with me? 

I pressed my eyes firmly and rested my head on the seat, trying to sleep and not let these awkward thoughts consume my mind. 

Chandigarh, 5 kms.

The stone that we passed away, read. The hustle and bustle of the city had already begun, as we entered into the outskirts, Arjun turning the car to where the train station was. 

I rubbed my eyes after a freaking good sleep, and began to gather my bag. 

The train announcements were reaching my ears by now, the station was helter-skelter with people and coolies. The time was almost nine in the morning, the digital watch was blinking near the gates. 

The train chart began to display all sorts of trains, and my eyes searched for train that would take me southwards--if not Mumbai, then somewhere close. 

My goodness, there was freaking train to Goa from Chandigarh at nine-thirty! Damn!

I had to get that!

"Arjun...I need to board 'Kerala S Kranti'! It will leave at nine-thirty, I have only half an hour time!" Arjun nodded after a while, pulling over his car swiftly in the parking lot. I practically leaped from the front seat with my bag, rushing off towards the ticket counter. 

Arjun followed me, panting while I was standing in the general ticket counter line. The queue wasn't that long, given that it was off season, so I brought a general-ticket. I knew I would have issues with the TC, but I had no other option that moment.

Maybe plead him for a seat or something. 

The train was already at the station, and all the tourists were already filling in. My fingers clutched the ticket a bit firmly, as I inadvertently brushed off the sheath of sweat that lined my forehead. 

What was going to happen? I had freaking, freaking no idea.

I had nothing with me, just a bag and an address. I will be alone. All alone after this till Mumbai.

And after that also, I didn't knew what was going to happen to me. 

"Reet? You didn't board the train, yet?" Arjun came over, glancing at the train and then at me. He shoved a newly brought packet of Crocin 650 in my bag and peered at me.

"Yeah...I am. It was that, I was feeling a bit scared." Again, Reet. Why can't you stop yourself from speaking out such stuffs in front of Arjun? I regretted hard, "Never-mind...I will just go-" I whispered, looking down and adjusting my bag. 

"Yup. Don't worry, everything will be fine." My eyes surprisingly travelled up to his face in awe. Wh-what did he say? He shoved his palm in his pocket, breathing in deeply as he glanced at me with lips pursed in a smile, "Go and live your dream Reet. You deserve your freedom, just don't worry."

"Go as far your vision takes you." 

For a moment, I didn't bother who was saying such words but I needed to hear so badly, I just couldn't explain. My lips stretched into a lopsided smile, not knowing what to say just--just be there to savor the moment. 

For a moment, I felt like I owed him. 

************

A/N

Progress 👀✨

Signing off for today!

Nushkie