𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟽

Outskirts of Shimla

Reet's Pov

I gasped, as Arjun slowed down and grabbed the seat firmly. I had almost lost count of the number of times I was trying to get back and sit properly and he swiveled the car with unbelievable jerks. Placing my knee firmly on the seat and hugging it, I spun myself and sat back with a deep breath with a palm on my heart.

"Oyeee, get the fuck back here!" I heard them yell behind. Glancing out and looking, I found a car skidding back at a distance, blocking the other two cars. My eyebrows raised up making my forehead crook at the sight, and then shifted my gaze to Arjun.

"Assholes! Come back instantly!"

"You did that?" my tone inadvertently became a bit impressive as I blinked twice, while he changed the gear and undertook a different route. I was so busy getting myself back in position that I almost didn't even spare a look at what was happening beside me.

He had a satisfied smirk on his face, and I guess it was for the first time I found him relaxing a bit.

"I had to because all you were doing was gathering your upside down self," he sassed, rolling his eyes and driving his way down through a thick forest path. I widened my eyes at the remark, hue creeping on my cheeks out of embarrassment.

"I-it was all your fault, okay?" I shot back, crossing my arms on my bosom and shaking head.

"My fault? Honestly woman, I am saving you here. I know you take a lot of time to comprehend and react, so I had no time in making you understand to get back to my car." he grunted hoarsely, with his eyebrows crossed and looking straight ahead.

Di-did he just call me stupid in an indirect way?!

I swear I would have broken his bones again if not for the situation, "Your help?I would have saved myself when you were all down with the goons. You should be grateful that right now you aren't a heap of broken bones."

"Oshonko dhonnobaad tomake Reet.Tumi jaa korecho ami shara jeebon kritogyo thakbo tomaar.(Thank you so much, Reet.I shall be forever grateful for all you have done!)" He deliberately spoke in Bengali and gave his signature saccharine smile, sarcasm dripping from his mouth, which I was urging to rip apart from so long.

"Idiot." I mumbled softly, but he seemed to hear that because he fucking gave a jerk to the car which made me shift forward suddenly, because I wasn't wearing my seat belt. His smirk intensified seeing me have my heart almost plunged out of my chest. 

I shot a glare at him and gritted my teeth but he didn't seem to be affected. It made him more victorious that he was able to irritate me.

All I was feeling was to kick him off the cliff eleven feet deep, but obviously I can't.

.

.

.

.

For almost half an hour, we drove through an unknown path. Thankfully, we were out of the strange forest route. It was really dark inside and I was kind off losing my shit imagining what if we encounter wild animals.

Call me an overthinker or anything, but I can't help it. Often my days pass by imagining hilarious situations from a minuscule stuff and have a good laugh in my mind. 

Technique one zero one of getting out of boredom.

The digital clock of the car ticked to show the time of six p.m., means it was going to be dark soon and we didn't have a freaking idea where we were heading to.

We were in the outskirts of Shimla, it was evident. Not a single street light or anything, no network poles. The Sun had already set, only its orangish yellow light visible through the clouds. Not given the situation, I would have sat back and marveled at the sight like I did almost every evening at my home.

Home? I don't know whether I shall go back there any day soon. A clear last memory of my grandmother flashed in front of my face, the way she practically brought me to senses when I was getting dolled up in front of the mirror. 

I was broken. Completely. Lord knows how many times I imagined running away.

I had half made my mind, and then discarded. Again thought and shoved it off. Engagement, Haldi function , etc. all went away with me ticking off on papers whether I should sulk here forever for their benefit or find myself rather. Because I knew the fact that it ain't easy as said! To run away from your freaking home!

It takes a lot of guts and courage to do that, and I don't think I would have been able to do that today if Grandma hadn't drilled senses in me. She was the one who had practically arranged everything for me to escape with a sob in her lips. 

I sighed deeply. The only person I had genuine affection for was my grandmother. It sometimes feels like she was the only one I can address as my own, leave alone my Uncle. I can argue about my limits, my desires and all but, all that subsides at one point of time whenever you think about your family. 

And that's a really heavy price I am paying. A really heavy one...

I miss her. Terribly. God knows what must be happening back at my home. I hope Uncle doesn't unreasonably lash out at her, please no. He has a really terrible temper, I can already imagine the havoc he might have created because of me. 

But, I can't go back. I can't, I promised Grandma, she made me swear on her repeatedly that I will never submit myself to the marriage and not to come back.  

I folded my palms unknowingly, letting a plead so that everything is fine with her back there. She is the only one I have and I can't let her happen anything.

I so badly wanted to call her anyhow and inform that I am safe, but unfortunately I know we both will land in very serious trouble if I do that.

Am I really selfish....?

A sharp horn from Arjun's car brought me out of my musings. He pushed the brake with a groan, making the car jerk slightly. He clicked his tongue, appearing aptly tensed and looking around here and there.

"God knows where we are." He sighed, tension evident on his face. I sat like a statue looking at the front after slightly gulping my ego. Right now I certainly didn't want to desert his car anymore and be a lovely feast for the wild animals.

I loved my life more than my pride. So I chose to keep my mouth shut and pretended to think about something, though internally I was freaking out because--

There wasn't a single human life visible around us.

*************

🐨🐨🐨🐨Ab Bhagvaan hi bachaye in dono chunnu munnuo ko.

Signing off for today!

Nushkie