Nothing But Tomorrow

Chapter 18: Nothing But Tomorrow

*

Ariana's Pov:

The past three days, it was uncanny seeing Harry's lips form into a smile everyday and the fact that I knew it was genuine made my heart ease. Ever since Harry met Jade he has been coming in this hospital more often, which I was not accustom to.

Helping kids in the hospital wasn't necessary of me but their closeness and the joyful spark on their faces easily makes the highlight of my day and that was what I was seeing in Harry.

I don't know if Harry just strongly dislikes my company but whenever he was alone with Jade I would see him smile. However when I stand near them, his smile faints and his eyes darkens. I felt uncomfortable by the looks he gives me and I wish I could go through his mind and see all the judgment he says about me.

The bell of the censored doors whistled as I walk in the drain, murky halls of the hospital, the sterilized alcohol filling my nose. I saw Gina on the counter setting her stuff aside and unzipping her coat at the cool vent that hit down on her. Smiling big for a proper greeting, she returned the favor except hers was littler than mine, noting that she was still tired. The clock differs from my hype reading that it was only 7:49 a.m. I was conflicted since I wasn't usually the morning person but then remembered that I took a nap around 6 p.m. yesterday and somehow I wasn't able to wake up until the next day.

Ruffling sounds came from behind and there I saw two nurses and a doctor, coming in bringing light in the lifeless hallway. I made my way to the counter in just my luck Gina receives a phone call. I didn't want to disrupt, knowing it was important, her face turning into a more serious structure. Waving my hand leisurely in front of her and pointed towards into a direction in the air, she quickly handed me my volunteer I.D. and waved her hand shooing me like a fly.

Just as I step foot in that room, I knew something was wrong. There I saw at the corner a scrawny hand waving for someone's attention. I ran towards to whoever it was and there laid Jade.

Whenever I looked at her, I felt my heart soften and my shoulder's drop. If you guys didn't know, all these kids in this room are abandoned from streets in different places in London. Gina had told me that Jade was found weak, half beaten, on the street. When she was brought here, the doctor was shocked to know that not only was the bruises that made her ill, she had stage 4 cancer. She has been in this hospital, alone, for 7 months now. She stopped taking her chemo therapy, doctors knowing that her diminutive body and young self couldn't handle it.

Her eyes were hardly open but she still motioned me to come towards her as if she was already expecting me. She handed me a packet which I was assuming was for me.

"Don't open it," she warned, "It's for Harry." Her petite voice manages to croak out.

I was confused on why she handed it to me. "Why did you give it to me then love?" She smiled. That frail little smile of hers that could was bigger than the sunlight. "Give it to him, right now please," her voice in a tone of plea.

Now I was even more confused, when I was about to speak up once again, I was too late, she turned her back to me and little snores started to form as it joined to some other's in the room.

A breathe of exhaustion came out from my lips knowing exactly what smug look Harry will give me or the usual blank expression that I will once again witness.

--

Spinning my wheel, my car blocking in front of Harry's in just a nick of time, I was relieved I was able to catch him. Looking through his dimmed windshield, I could see that he was puzzled that I had interrupted his exit. He rolled his eyes and got out of the car and so did I. before he let out any tone with followed words, I quickly handed him the envelope. He looked at me, then looked down at is hand. Tearing the envelope open, he read the written letter that Jade had given me.