ten: how you care

Start from the beginning

"Oh, this old tune," the Professor murmured.

"Did you ever stop to think that I actually had a life back in 2016?" Jefferson continued.

"I almost forgot: a promising career as an auto mechanic," wittily replied Stein, but Elle knew that wasn't what Jefferson meant.

She was proven correct when he returned sorrowfully with, "I had a mom, a widow. What happens to her if something happens to me in 1986? Huh? She's just gonna think that I left her without even saying goodbye. Man, do you have any idea what that does to her?"

"We've all made sacrifices," Stein bellowed across the bridge, and Elle winced slightly at the tone of his voice, something that didn't go unnoticed by the two other men, Ray and Rip, stomaching this argument. "But can't you see that this mission, stopping Savage, is bigger than any one of us?"

"I am so sick of you using that tone. When are you gonna learn that you are not my father?" Jefferson shouted back, which seemed to soften the environment, Elle hoped, unsure how much longer she could take watching the two halves fight.

"I'm sorry you lost him at such a tender age, but if your father were here, right now, he'd be saying what I'm saying. Just grow up, Jefferson." Maybe not, given the last four words Stein had said, we're back to his hurtful booming tone. "The future of the world is at stake, and if you insist on getting yourself killed, as terrible that might be for your mother, or me, who, incidentally, would also die, I am more concerned with the billions of people who will die because of your... arrogant adolescent ego!"

This time, Jefferson didn't have a comeback or response of any kind, only looking at the older man and nodding, accepting that he wasn't going to get the last say. "Okay."

Elle let out a breath as Jefferson hobbled out of the bridge, not long after she and Rip followed after him, ensuring his safe passage to the MedBay, leaving Stein and Ray behind. When the two caught up with Jefferson, they resumed their previous positions, aiding the Jackson boy in arriving at the MedBay despite the boy's protests. Those were the only words spoken; no one really wished to discuss the altercation between the two halves of Firestorm — certainly not Jefferson.

The captain and Elle relaxed Jefferson into one of the two seats in the MedBay, the Brit strapping a bracelet-like device connected to a blue wire that ran into the wall onto Jax's wrist. Elle assumed it was how Gideon was able to examine a person and determined what the best course of medical action would be. This was the first time Elle got to see what the twenty-second-century computer could do medically, and she would be lying if she said it didn't intrigue her. In 2016, Elle was always fascinated by what Amy was doing at the hospital; the minute she got home, she began bombarding the woman with questions about her day. It always made Amy joyous to see Elle passionate about something, especially something like practicing medicine.

Letting out a sigh as some sort of medication was pushed into him, Jefferson settled into the chair, his eyes glittering, feeling the effects of Gideon. The Brit looked up towards the ceiling as he addressed the AI. "Gideon, will you please ensure Jefferson is taken care of."

"I've already prescribed him some mild medication."

"Thank you," muttered Rip, his hand still on Jefferson's shoulder as he peered at Elle. "I best be getting back to the bridge to find out our best course of action in determining what Savage has planned ."