International Meetings

1st September 1994

I stand at the back of the Hogwarts courtyard, my head overthinking every little thing possible. All the students here all awaiting the arrival of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. The sky above is clouding over, as it begins to turn to night. Then a carriage from Beauxbatons glides gracefully through the air, pulled by a team of winged horses. Gasps of awe echo around me. The carriage touches down, with Hagrid who had been guiding the horses towards the ground. He had to leap out of the way so he doesn't get trampled. 

 Next the black lake begins to stir, from its depths emerges the ship of Durmstrang, rising majestically into the air. It's actually a sight to see, I now wonder if father had enrolled us in another school would all this have happened to me. Before Durmstrang's students disembark from their ship, we're called inside to prepare and start the sorting ceremony for the first years, once that is over, then we get to meet the schools who'll be staying with us for the year.

"Well, now were all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year. But home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen.." Dumbledore is interrupted by Flitch jogging up the isle towards him, both of them whispering before Flitch jogs back out the doors, letting Dumbledore continue. "So Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard Tournament. Now for those of you who dont know." Some students wisper amongst eachother in awe. "The Triwizard Tornament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single student is selected to compete. Now let me be clear. If chosen, you must stand alone. And trust me when I say, these contests are not for the feint hearted. But more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress Madame Maxine"

The doors open and in swoons a group of girls wearing baby blue dresses, followed by a giant woman. The girls dance down the isle stopping a few times to awe the boys. I can see Draco next to me drooling. They finally get to the front and swoon again, this time releasing a bunch of blue butterflies, then a younger girl cartwheels down the isle, as Dumbledore guides the giant woman to the front. They all bow and cheers erupt from the students. Dumbledore stands up and raises his arms, and everyone goes silent. "And now our friends from the north. Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and their high master Igor Karkaroff." Suddenly a bunch of good looking boys march through the doors banging sticks on the ground, switching them from hand to hand and spinning it around. Some of them do flips towards the front and one breakdances. "Omg, its Victor Krum" an exited first year says next to me. She was right, in walks the famous seeker Victor Krum with Igor Karkaroff, who I know to be a Deatheater. One of the male students blows fire from a stick, making it swirl around Dumbledore. "Albus" "Igor" The two greet each other with a hug.

"Hogwarts!" Dumbledore announces. "Let's entertain our friends in the best way we can! All stand!" "Oh, no" Draco and I say together. We reluctantly stand to our feet with the other students, as the music begins, and the lyrics appear above us. 
"Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy, Warty, Hogwarts,
Teach us something, please!
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees."
"Our heads could do with filling With some interesting stuff. For now, they're bare and full of air Dead flies and bits of fluff." Beauxbatons had a beautiful display, and Durmstrang showed feats of power. And then there's us just singing. 

How embarrassing

"This is ridiculous" Draco mutters beside me as we sit back down. "You got that right this time Draco" I smirk back.

I suddenly get a thought, where the bloody hell is Barty. I hope he hasn't got caught, I don't want  to do this myself. The Durmstrang's sit with us at the Slytherin table and a few of them glance my way with a smile. I cant help but smile back, but deep down I know my heart belongs to George, if he still wants me after this year. Dinner appears on the tables and everyone digs in but I am only able to pick at some chicken, as I am not very hungry. After the feast some of the teachers help pull out a big metal statue that looks like a castle. "Your attention, please!" Dumbledore speaks getting everyone's attention. "I'd like to say a few words. Eternal glory. That is what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks. For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation Mr. Bartemius Crouch." Dumbledore announces, as Barty Senior walks up to the front. 

Suddenly the enchanted ceiling erupts with thunder, lightning and pouring rain. A silent spell dispels the thunder bringing the celling back to normal, following where it came from I let out a sigh. Finally he's here, about bloody time Barty. It looks like he came through the back door, pulling Moody off very well he hobbles over to greet Dumbledore, before standing off to the side pulling out his Polyjuice potion to drink. In public, bloody hell he's going to get found out for sure. "After due consideration the Ministry has concluded that, for their own safety no student under the age of 17 shall be allowed to put forth their name for the Triwizard tournament. This decision is final" Barty Crouch senior starts speaking, while doing something weird with his hands. Weird tics must run in the family. Students erupt with whispers and boos of disagreement. I swear I hear the twins yell "That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing" in unison. "SILENCE" Dumbledore yells, before taking out his wand, as he melts down the statue into a huge cup. It erupts with a blue fame as Dumbledore continues speaking. "The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament need only write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly. If chosen there is no turning back. As from this moment, the Triwizard tournament has begun." Dumbledore finishes his speech and ushers us off to bed.

The Slytherin common room is packed with new first years roaming around with nothing to do and the Durmstrang boys loafing around, surrounded by girls. "Why aren't you joining the swooning girls. Are we not charming enough for you" An unfamiliar voice is heard behind me. As I turn I realise is none other than Victor Krum. "Your all charming but I have eyes for someone else. Now if you don't mind I'm going to bed." I say, turning heel and walking off to my private room down the hall. Krum watching my every move out of his sight. "Nice sis, you really told him" My brother tells me, peaking out from his door. Which I ignore and head to bed.