Fears

Tuesday, September 7th 1993

This morning we had our first Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Lupin and I was exited to have another teacher. "Hopefully he's better than the last one." I say to Draco and Theo as we enter the classroom.

All the desks and chairs are moved to the side of the room, leaving a big space in the middle. We all gather around a big black cabinet of some sort. Something inside it started moving inside wanting to come out. "Intriguing, isn't it?" Lupin says as he enters the classroom, looking slightly shabby. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Lupin asks as the wardrobe shakes more violently. "That's a Boggart, that is." I hear Atticus voice speak up from behind the crowd of students. "Very good Mr. Grey." He praises Atticus as the wardrobe shakes again. "Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?" He asks moving to the front facing us. "No one knows." Hermione speaks up, almost like she showed up from nowhere. "Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so..." She continues, but is cut off by Lupin. "So terrifying, yes, yes."

Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart." Lupin explains moving closer to the shaking wardrobe. "Let's practice it now. Without wands, please. After me. Riddikulus!" "Riddikulus!" Some of the students repeat. "Very good. A little louder and very clear. Listen: Riddikulus!" He annunciates the word. "Riddikulus." The class repeats more clearer now. "This class is ridiculous." Draco mutters, leaning against the wall. Crabbe and Goyle nod in agreement and I shake my head, moving closer to the front. "Very good. Well so much for the easy part. You see the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain. Neville, would you join me, please?" 

The class turns to where Neville is standing and a frightened Neville turns around looking behind him. "Come on, don't be shy." Lupin beckons him closer. "Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Neville mutters something we cant hear. "Sorry?" Lupin asks again. "P-professor Snape" Neville stutters, as some of the class giggle. Lupin chuckles as well. "Yes, frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother" "Yes, but I don't want the boggart to turn into her either." Neville speaks, sounding frightened. "No.." Lupin grins as the wardrobe shakes again. "It wont. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind." "She carries a red handbag.." Neville starts describing out loud. "We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, well see it. Now when I open that wardrobe.. Here's what I want you to do.." Lupin speaks, then whispers something in Neville's ear. "Can you do that." He asks out loud for us to hear. Neville nods. "Yes, wand at the ready. One, two, three." Lupin counts down and with a swish of his wand the door unlocks, opening slowly and out steps Professor Snape.

The boggart presenting itself as Professor Snape walks closer to Neville. With a wave of his wand Neville calls out. "Riddikulus!" And suddenly Snape is wearing a green dress, holding a red handbag and a stuffed eagle on his hat, with a stuffed fox around his neck as a scarf. We all laugh out loud as Snape look hilarious. "Wonderful, Neville, wonderful! Incredible!" Lupin exclaims. "Okay to the back, Neville. Everyone, form a line." He instructs as we all try form a long cramped line. I notice my brother push Neville out of the way with his sore arm. I sigh again and squeeze's behind Ron whos at the front. Atticus squeeze's behind me and I give him a smile.

"Alright. I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most and turn it into something funny." Lupin tells us as he starts playing some very upbeat music on a record player. "Next! Ron!" Ron slowly walks forward. "Concentrate. Face your fear. Be brave!" The boggart materializes into matter before revealing a giant redback spider. Ron lets out a quiet scared squeal. He pulls his wand out form his robe, shaking in the process. "Wand at the ready, Ron!" Lupin speaks. Ron holds his wand out and speaks. "Riddikulus!" Roller-skates appear on each of the spiders legs, causing is to roll around having trouble standing up. We all laugh and Lupin calls me next. "Asteria! Next." I let out a deep breath stepping forward slowly towards the skating spider. "Show us what you see." Lupin commands, seconds before the spider materializes into my father looking down at me with a disappointed face, he pulls out his wand from his cane, raising it about to attack. "Avada-" "Riddikulus" I quickly speak up before he casts the killing curse. I feel tears well up my eyes, but shake it off as I imagine father dancing around like a ballerina wearing a pink tutu.  I let out a giggle, while everyone else laughs. I slump to the back receiving a high five from Draco. I stand behind him and let out a sigh as I hug him from behind. Theo places a hand on my back to comfort me as I let out a few quiet sobs. Wow I didn't realise my father scared me that much.

"Next! Atticus!" Lupin calls out. Atti moves closer to my dancing father and the boggart shifts into his brother Cedric Diggory, but he looks different like he's a zombified corpse. The boggart tries to speak but only lets out groans. "Riddikulus" He calls out quickly, not wanting to see his brother in that state any longer. He turns into a more normal looking Cedric, but wearing Neville's grandmothers clothes. Receiving a roaring laughter form the class. I'm soo going to remember this hilarious moment, after seeing an even more venerable Cedric in his Hufflepuff pjs on Saturday night. "Well done!" Lupin laughs, ushering him to the back of the line. "Next! Alex!" Alex steps forward, getting his wand ready to strike. Cedric turns into a Deatheater. A tall man with a black hooded cloak and a skull-like mask covering his face. I shiver at the sight of the Deatheater. Thinking that that could possibly be my future. 

Alex almost falls over in fear. "Riddikulus" Alex beams. The Deatheater turns into a clown with blue hair and a big red nose. The clown hands Alex a red balloon, which makes him laugh. "And next! Step up, step up!" Lupin calls Harry up next. The clown stares down at Harry, holding out a balloon for him. But suddenly it forms into a dementor, it leans towards Harry about to attack. Harry stands there in shock. Lupin jumps in front of Harry protecting him from the dementor. But the dementor materializes into a full moon. I'm not surprised that's his fear considering he's a werewolf. "Riddikulus!" Lupin yells. The full moon now turning into a cream balloon, flying around making noises as it deflates around the room before finally entering the wardrobe where it came from.

"Right. Sorry about that. That's enough for today. It you'd all like to collect your books form the back of the class. That's the end of todays lesson. Thank you! Sorry! Lupin rambles, ushering us out of the classroom. I hear moans and groans from some students as they leave not being able to have their turn.