Troubled Teens

Tuesday, August 31st 1993

The holidays were uneventful. Father is making more of an effort in making sure I don't disappoint him again. He has told all the Slytherin families to make sure I am always with a group of Slytherins and not anywhere near Potter and my friends. 

The morning before we go back to school Father yells for Draco and I to join him in the parlor to talk about something important. As we both uncomfortably sit on the couch, Father paces in front of the fireplace. "The notorious murderer Sirius Black has escaped Azkaban. Draco and I share a scared look for a moment. "He will most likely try go after Potter. So I would like you Draco to keep an eye on him." Draco looks at me and shrugs. "And Asteria, I have eyes and ears everywhere at Hogwarts this year so I will know if you disappoint our status." He look's down at me with a scowl. "You two are dismissed, leave my sight at once.  

Draco and I scamper back up the stairs and into our appointed rooms. As soon as I shut my door I jump onto my bed and pull out my journal and my green pen to write to Atticus. "Have you heard the news about Sirius Black." I let out a sigh as I see my message disappear and a reply from Atticus his sparkly blue handwriting appears on the page. "Yeah, Seems like the entire wizarding world is going insane over this." "Yeah, definitely.. Do you think It's going to affect our time at Hogwarts this year?" I scribble down worriedly. "More than likely. Amos thinks he's going to be chasing after Harry Potter." Atticus responds. "That's what Father said, too." I scribble. Then wait a few moments before deciding not to tell Atticus that I'm not allowed to be seen taking to them this year. 

" Looks like were helping Harry for the third year in a row." Atticus writes, making me sigh and close the book throwing it on the floor in anger and frustration about not being able to see much of my friends this year. I lay on my bed thinking of ways I can sneak around to see them.  

Wednesday, September 1st, 1993

Father makes sure I sit with the Slytherins in the train compartment and pulls Draco away to speak to him as I walk on the train with Theo and Blaze. "What's that all about." The asks as we sit down at our usual compartment. "Oh nothing just Father being strict as usual." I sigh and pull my black hood over my head and bring my legs up to my chest laying out my journal on my legs to begin drawing. I am too focused om drawing to realise when Draco enters and sits down opposite me. 

About halfway through the train ride. The train suddenly comes to a halt. "We cant be there already?" Blaze asks in confusion. Theo and Draco stand up and look out the compartment door. "Everyone is just as confused as we are." Theo adds. Draco makes me jump by yelling, "I saw something move outside." "Oh, Draco get over yourself." I blurt out. But as I look out the window I also see a dark shadow move past the window. As it passes the air gets cold and the windows start to frost over. The boys look worried for a moment but then get distracted by seeing who could blow the most breath out in front of them.

I roll my eyes at their stupid competitions. The lights in the train starts to flicker and the train shakes again, causing Theo to fall into my lap. "Uhh, umm sorry Astra." He looks at me like he's embarrassed. The train shakes a few more times as we all hold hands. Suddenly black claws open the train compartment door. And a black shadowy figure with a black cloak over its head floats through the compartment isle looking at each of the students. Everything feels cold and dull like death itself. "That's a Dementor." Blaze tells us as the figure disappears off the end of the train. "A Dementor?" I question. "Yeah they guard Azkaban," Blaze adds. "Probably searching for Sirius Black." I shrug, still in shock at that creature.

The Great hall was warm and welcoming, unlike the cold and disturbing train ride. I sit down at the Slytherin table with Draco and the boys greet Grabbe and Goyle as they are impatiently waiting for the meal to start. Dumbledore then steps up to the podium and starts his usual welcoming speech. "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast." Crabbe and Goyle glance at each other and lick their lips. "First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor." Dumbledore finished and everyone applauds as Professor Lupin stands up. I remember him, I think to myself. Snape told me all about him being a werewolf. I wonder how interesting would it be to have a werewolf as a teacher. 

"Potter.. Potter!" I hear my brother speak beside me. "Is it true you fainted? I mean. you actually fainted?" Draco harasses Harry, as Theo pretends to faint dramatically. "Shove off, Malfoy. How did he find out?" Ron demands bringing Harry's attention back to the Gryffindor's. I cant help but snicker at Theo's dramatic faint but I shove Draco and give him a look as Dumbledore continues. "Our care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken buy none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid. Everyone starts clapping and as Hagrid stands up he pushes the table forward and some cheers are heard from the students. "Finally, on a more disquieting note at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban, until such a time as Sirius Black is captured." Draco and I share a glance of worry and I hear whispers all around me.

"The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution: Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times.." Dumbledore flicks his hand up briefly which puts out one of the candles nest to him. "If one only remembers to turn on the light." Wow that's cool, I think to myself as he waves his hand back and relights the same candle." Dumbledore steps off his podium the same time the food appears on the table. Crabbe and Goyle set in immediately of course. But I don't feel that hungry so I just grab some bread. 

After dinner we get taken down to our common room by the prefects. We all decide to get comfy and talk for a bit on the couches. I head straight over to my suitcase and pull out my comfy clothes. I get changed into a black tank top and some grey sweatpants and head out to the others. We sit up for hours talking about our holidays and the dementor attack on the train and having some laughs. Suddenly Theo pulls out some fire whiskey form the couch. I decide at that's the perfect time to go to bed. As I stand up, Pansy pulls me back down again. "You're not going anywhere, I'm not being the only girl here if were drinking that." I sigh at Pansy's demand, and sit back down to join in. 

What's the worst that can happen. Right!