part 30 -- milk and honey

part 30 —- milk and honey

part 30 - milk and honey

The sound of Mikoto's soft humming filled the bathroom and trailed down the hallway where Sasuke had been walking on his way to his bedroom, a takeaway bag of her favourite treats in his hand. He had been on his way to check on Hana. It had been another three days since the incident with Haru, and as Sasuke had expected, it had hit her hard.

All he could do was continue to support her and let her feel, as painful as it was, and allow her to come out of hiding in her own time. He couldn't force her. He knew it would only make things worse.

He came to a halt at the sound, listening carefully. He recognised the song, and his chest tightened in an instant.

It was a song that his mother used to sing to comfort him and Itachi, whenever they were ill or sad. He hadn't heard it since he was Haru's age and memories came flooding in.

His mother's voice infiltrated his entire body, leaving behind a warm, cozy comfort.

He began walking towards the sound. He pushed open the bathroom door, allowing for only gap so thin that he could only peak one eye through. He could see his mother sitting beside the bathtub, running her hand through the back of Hana's soaked hair as she continued to sing quietly.

Hana was sitting with her arms wrapped around her knees, hunched over with her back towards the door. Sasuke's eyes trailed down the sight of her spine sticking out more than usual. He frowned, his fingers furling into a fist.

TW

He also noticed the fresh fiery red cuts along her wrists.

When? When did she do that? Tears welled up in his eyes. He couldn't help but feel like he had failed her for leaving her for a moment. He should have listened to his intuition which had told him to stay with her. That the treats wouldn't be worth it, she could hurt herself while he was gone.

And she did.

From the corner of his eye, he noticed a short figure at the end of the hallway. He quickly snapped his head towards Haru, who stood there while looking completely lost. Though he had originally felt frustrated with the young boy, those feelings had vanished now and he completely understood why he had acted the way he did that night. He had felt a similar way with Itachi.

Sasuke walked towards him, hands in pockets and a weak smile on his face. Haru looked up at him as he got closer, and Sasuke placed his hand on top of his shaggy hair in a comforting way.

"Come on," he told him, hand still on Haru's head, "I'll make you some warm milk and honey."

"Milk and honey?" Haru repeated, his eyes glistening at the sound of the sweet drink.

Sasuke nodded. It was a comforting drink and though he hated it himself as it was too sweet, he knew Haru would at least enjoy it.

A few minutes later, Sasuke was standing by the stove, slowly stirring a pot of milk of milk with a wooden spoon. Haru was sitting on the stool by the counter, watching the younger Uchiha quietly. He could tell that Haru was feeling bad. He seemed to be in deep thought as he sat there.