part 22 -- unforeseen circumstances

part 22 —- unforeseen circumstances

"One for you... one for you.. and one for you." Hana smiled down at the medium-sized Shiba Inu names Lucky, that waited patiently for his treat. She scratched at the top of his head as he chewed it up, unable to help the fact that out of all the dogs in the doggy daycare, he was her favourite.

Almost two months had passed since the trip with the Uchiha's and not a day went by that Hana didn't think about them... especially Sasuke. Mikoto had told Sora once they returned to work a week later that he was okay, despite having to stay at the hospital overnight to be monitored. Thankfully, all he had was a bruised neck.

Itachi, on the other hand, had a much more painful recovery. His nose had been broken and only surgery could fix it. Hana often cried about them both, still unable to shake the feeling that it was all her fault. The only distraction she had now was her new job, at the doggy daycare she had applied to before leaving for the trip. Turned out, they liked her enough to allow her to work there without having to meet the criteria.

She loved it, I mean, what was not to love? Her customers were literally dogs. The only human beings she had to speak to were their owners and sometimes her coworkers and her boss. Hana would happily stay working in the doggy daycare business for as long as she lived, even though she only worked on the weekends. She had been longing to tell Sasuke all about it, imagining how he would have listened to her, staring deeply into her eyes as she spoke. A small smile would play on his serious face, which she was used to now, and maybe... just maybe... it would lead to—

"You can clock off now, Hana." her manager said with a friendly smile as he walked over to where she stood with Lucky. "You were wonderful today. You're a natural with all the clients."

Hana grinned at his words, giving Lucky one last pat goodbye before walking into the back room. She grabbed all her things from her locker and slipped on a white woollen cardigan over her uniform.

When she had gotten home, she noticed the stressed look on her mother's face as she spoke on the phone, briefly glancing over at Hana as she removed her shoes.

"Okay, I'll be there soon then." she said before hanging up, letting out a sigh as soon as she knew the line had disconnected. She placed the phone down on the counter and pushed her stray strands of hair back, turning to face her daughter. "How was it?"

"Good, as usual." Hana responded, walking towards her. "What's wrong? Who was that on the phone?"

"The nursing home," Sora answered, flashing Hana a sympathetic smile. "They said that grandma needs surgery on her hip, as it has gotten worse since her fall..."

Hana frowned at her words. "Is she okay?"

"Yes, yes. She is fine, but she needs someone to take her."