part 11 -- worth it

part 11 —- worth it

part 11 —- worth it

Seeing Haru's face light up when he came downstairs after finally waking up, was completely worth it to Hana. She was exhausted beyond belief, feeling like she was floating with every step she took. If she blinked too slowly, she would feel herself drift off into sleep before being jolted awake again and again by the noisy excitement around her.

Haru was having the time of his life, opening the abundant amount of presents that Mikoto, Fugaku and her mother had prepared for him. Hana took a much needed sip of her coffee as she watched him, unable to wipe the smile off her face. Worth it. So damn worth it.

Hana felt a light hand on her shoulder and looked up at her mother, who was smiling down at her with tears in her eyes. "I'm so proud of you, Hana." Sora said quietly so only her daughter could hear. "Haru needed this. He will never forget it. You truly are the best big sister to him,"

"Mom," Hana placed her hand over Sora's, touched by her words but also a tiny bit embarrassed at the same time. She didn't want to be praised for doing something that most people did for their loved ones. "Please, it's really nothing. And besides, I wouldn't have been able to do it without Sasuke's help." she said truthfully.

Sora averted her eyes to the boy, who also looked tired as he sat a few seats away from Haru, his arms crossed but the corners of his lips turned slightly upwards.

"Is that so?" Sora mumbled to herself, her eyes full of warmth and gratitude, "I'll have to thank him as well then."

Hana nodded in agreement and Sora walked off to join Haru, who was excitedly showing her his new toys. She took another sip of her coffee, praying that the caffeine would hit her quicker than it already was.

When it was time to sing happy birthday, Haru had insisted that Hana joined him in front of the cake. She rubbed the back of her neck as she walked over, squatting so that her and Haru's eyes were on the same level. She looked at him and quickly kissed his cheek, making his eyes light up.

Sora drew the curtains closed so that the candles illuminated Haru and Hana's faces, which made Hana feel slightly more at ease now that she couldn't see everyone staring at her. Especially, for some reason, Sasuke.

As they all began to sing, Hana made sure most of the attention was on her brother, backing away slightly and singing just as loud as everyone else. Haru was fixated on the sparklers, unable to hide the fascination on his face.

"Help me blow out the candles, Hana!" exclaimed Haru.

"Okay, okay, hold on," she repositioned herself beside him, placing her hands on the back of his chair. "One, two, three,"

Hana formed her lips to blow but held back, allowing Haru to do it himself. The scent of the candles extinguishing filled her nose, followed by the sound of applause.