part 04 -- tattered string

part 04 —- tattered string

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

part 04 - tattered string

The house was eerily quiet, causing his breath to hitch in his throat, the worst thought entering his mind. Surely she didn't...?

The sound of glass shattering down onto the polished floorboards automatically made him run towards it, straight into the kitchen. His heart hammered against his chest as he caught sight of her, except to his relief, she was crouched by the dishwasher, staring up at him with her warm brown eyes in surprise.

"S-Sorry, I was trying to empty the dishwasher and I accidentally-"

"Don't worry about it." he said simply, walking towards the mess in front of her. She held onto a large piece of the broken porcelain in her small hand in a pathetic attempt to pick it up by hand. "Don't touch it, I'll get a broom." he muttered before disappearing into the laundry room, where he assumed his mom would keep the cleaning equipment. He pulled open the white shaker door and immediately found what he was looking for.

He walked back into the kitchen and over to her, where she was now standing by the sink, washing her hands. He noticed she was shaky, unable to keep her hands still as she ran water over them. His words may still have affected her, and part of him wanted to apologise. However, Sasuke never apologised, so he thought against it. Instead, he began sweeping up the small pieces, noticing the large one was missing. Before he could ask if she had thrown it away, Hana spoke first.

"Thanks for helping me." she said so quietly that he almost couldn't understand her. She kept her gaze down as she held her hand under the running tap. "I'll buy Mikoto a new one."

"I'm sure she won't notice one plate missing from her entire collection." he responded, giving the floor one last sweep of the broom.

Hana bit her bottom lip, turning off the tap and holding her hands together to stop them from shaking. She turned to face him, watching as he tossed all the pieces away. "Still, I feel bad. It was a beautiful plate." she said, remembering all the intricate details that surrounded the outer edge. It wasn't just a plain, regular plate.

"We have several of those exact ones," Sasuke said, starting to get tired of repeating himself. "Seriously, it's fine. Just forget about it."

Hana gave a small nod in understanding, avoiding looking at him in fear of somehow triggering him. Like she seemed to do so easily.

Hana pushed the bathroom door closed with her back, pressing the back of her head firmly against it. She squeezed her eyes shut, tears welling up inside of them and threatening to spill at any moment. Her mind reflected on what had happened today, from the boardwalk to the kitchen incident, and it caused a loud, single sob to escape her lips. She quickly clasped her hand over her mouth, attempting to fight against her break down. But, she failed, and yet another sob, this one muffled, filled the air.