Chapter One

Khadijahs POV

My back and arms ached. I was so tired but there were atleast 5 more boxes that needed to be unpacked. Sadly, I was the only one here to do that. I hate this job. I'm 22, I should be graduating college and getting a real job. But my life never seems to go the way I want. My grandma's death took a huge toll on me. My grades got bad in 11th grade and now I'm living the consequences. I work at a local boutique. Its pretty popular in Chicago so we're always gettings shipments. I mean, I'm grateful I have a job, a lot of places wouldn't even hire me. The money makes end meet but I just wish I could be doing something I love. I have no one to blame but myself for that.

My stupid flyaways were sticking to my face which was just making me more annoyed. I quickly put my hair up in a sloppy bun to keep it off my face and neck.

"Chill, why you so mad?" Maya, a coworker, asked.

I have 8 coworkers. None of which I like. They're all very close to the owner expect for me. I always hear them talking trash about how I'm "too quiet and weird." but I never say anything back. I never even talk to them at all. I just ignored Maya's question to finish my task.

The pin that said my name on it was taken off my shirt. I slid it across the counter to Maya. In the background, I hear the TV playing the news. The anchor was talking about the death of an eldery woman.

"Maya, whats the date?" I asked.

"Todays the 9th."

Wow, it'll be the 5 year anniversary of my Grandma's death in two days.

"Okay, thanks," I said, leaving the store.
-
My Aunt Miriam placed a hot cup of tea in front of me. I lived by myself in a tiny apartment. It gets lonely sometimes so I come over here frequently. Both of my Aunts sons are married with kids of their own and her husband works a lot so its usually just me and her.

"Khadijah, you look tired," Aunt Miriam said worriedly.

I rubbed my eyes. "Yeah, its just work. Every 3 days we get 30 boxes of clothes. 30! And I'm the only person who unpacks them. She needs to hire someone to help me," I complained, refering to the owner.

"Have you asked?"

"No. I don't want to because what if the person she hires is better than me? Then, I'll probably get fired."

"Well then I don't know what to tell you."

I sipped the hot tea gingerly, not wanting to get burned. I put the cup down to speak. "So, do you know whats coming up soon?"

Aunt Miriam just squinted her eyes.

"Grandmas been dead for 5 years," I said with an attitude. How do you forget the date of when your Mom died?

She sighed softly and looked at the ground. "Wow, its already been 5 years?"

"Yeah," The tears started to hurt my eyes. "I still can't believe she's gone."

"Khadijah, you need to stop," She commanded.

"Stop what?"

"Stop sulking and being so depressed."

"I miss her," I replied, defensvily.

"I do too. But guess what? Everyone dies, its apart of life. You can't let it affect you this much."

"But-"

"But nothing. Do you think she would want you to be like this?"

"No," I answered truthfully.

"Honey, she would want you to be happy."

"Yeah, thats true."

"Listen, you're young, you're 22. Grandma would want to see you living life. Go on dates, make friends, take trips. Enjoy yourself when you still can," Aunt Miriam encouraged.