Chapter thirteen

The gang walked together in darkness, everything around them was silent besides the occasional noise of Silver bumping into a tree. "Ow." "How many times have you bumped into trees?" Blaze asked. "Too many." The white hedgehog replied as he rubbed his head. Shadow rolled his eyes, "Why must I be dragged along with these imbeciles?" He murmured.

Sonic playfully glared at the ebony hedgehog. "Because, you said it yourself, you're the 'ultimate lifeform' or whatever." He smirked. Shadow quickly glared daggers at the other hedgehog yet said nothing. Aster's stomach growled and he stopped walking, holding himself in pain.

"Aster!" Tails quickly stopped and walked towards the wolf pup in worry. Aster's ears pinned against his head. "Are you hungry?" Sonic asked. Aster looked up at the others with a questioning expression. "Do you not know what that means?" Tails asked in shock. Aster shook his head slowly.

"How do you not know what hunger is?" Sonic said a bit jokingly, "Next thing you know and you're going to say you've never had a chili dog!" "I haven't." Aster said quietly. "Wait-what?" "How do you not know something like that, Aster?" Tails asked, "Do you not need to eat or something?"

"I never have before." Aster said shyly. "H-how!?" The young fox studdered. "I don't know, I've never had to..." Aster paused, "eat like the other creatures do." Tails was shocked along with the others, although Sonic was still trying to take in the fact that Aster had never had a chili dog. 

"Why does that remind me of Shadow?" Knuckles asked. Rouge chuckled a bit, "I guess there's a new ultimate lifeform." She said jokingly as Shadow glared. "Unlikely." The black hedgehog mumbled loud enough for everyone to hear. Shadow sighed and took out a granola bar from who knows where.

"Here." He said, "If you're hungry you can have this, kid. I'm not going to need it." Aster took the snack and nervously thanked him as Tails stood by his side. The ground suddenly began to shake, flickys flying out of the palm trees in fear. 

"Woah!!" Everyone tried to keep their balance, some leaning on each other or grabbing another for help. The ground began to split, a crack forming inbetween some of them. Shadow quickly grabbed Sonic and pushed him out of the way as the ground cracked open. "ASTER!!" Tails called out, quickly grabbing Aster and pulling him out of the way.

The ground stopped, a small crack had opened up, although it was only about three inches wide in some parts. Aster shook as he hid behind Tails as the fox held him out of the way. Sonic looked up at Shadow and smirked. "Watch yourself, hedgehog." Shadow growled. "You're a hedgehog too, ya know." Sonic responded. 

Tails took a few steps and bent down near the rupture. They stared at the crack in the ground before taking out one of the gadgets he had taken from Eggman. Tails whacked the large white gadget against his hand and a picture of Eggman's insignia popped up along with a robotic laughter. Tails rolled their eyes and started hacking into the machine.

What an egghead. The young fox thought after getting the gadget to work. The machine beeped several times as Tails turned a few buttons. "Hm.." The fox whispered to themself, "It seems the tectonic plates are moving at an alarming rate." The fox's gaze on the gadget tightened as he tried to figure out what was going on.

"Well, no use waiting around to see why!" Sonic exclaimed and zoomed off. "SONIC!!!" Tails, Amy, and Shadow shouted, the ebony hedgehog growling as Tails and Amy's eyes filled with worry. "Agh! He's going to get himself killed!" Shadow growled. "SONIC, WAIT UP!!" Tails shouted as all of them began to run. Shadow through his arms up in the air, "Why am I the one always being dragged into this?"

★★★★

Tails and the others ran up a small hill where Sonic stood. "Sonic!" Tails smiled. "Uh, guys..." Sonic said, his voice oddly full of fear, "y-you," he gulped mid-sentence. "Sonic?" Amy asked. "You guys might wanna see this." Sonic said with a lump in his throat.

All of them walked up next to him, audibly gasping. All of them stood upon a cliff looking down onto what once was Green Hills, but now was covered in tremors with lava spewing out of them. Giant geysers full of lava sprouted up from the cracks in the ground, rocks falling from the cliffs' ledges. 

The grass had been burnt to a crisp and the ground was gray as ash. Off in the distance Eggman's base could be seen by the beach, one of the few things that seemed safe at the time.

~-------------------------------------~

Please vote and comment your thoughts and feedback.

~-------------------------------------~