Chapter six

Tails and Aster walked through the muddy forest, Aster standing by Tails' side as he fiddled with his fingers. The forest was quiet and cold, yet it seemed full of life. A small winged flicky landed on a branch above the two, chirping and causing Aster to jump and hide behind Tails.

"AH" He screamed, hiding behind the fox. Tails looked at the small gray wolf. "Are you on edge or have you just never seen a flicky?" The two tailed fox asked. "Both!" Aster replied, hiding behind Tails still. "It's ok." The young fox reassured, "But how have you never seen a flicky?" "I donno, I guess they're just not from where I'm from." Aster looked down.

"That's fine! They're harmless though, ok?" Tails smiled. "Ok." The little pup said quietly. The two continued to walk in silence, after a few moments Aster spoke. "You're scared, aren't you?" he asked, looking at the ground quietly. "Huh?!" Tails looked at Aster quickly.

"You're scared of what your friends would think about you if they knew the truth about who you are," He began, "You're afraid of what they say about you behind your back, but even though you're afraid of what they do or would think of you, you're worried about if they're safe, it's......strange." The pup's eyes were blank yet full of sadness as he spoke, confused.

Tails eyes went wide, "How-How d-did you know all that?" The fox shuddered. "I can feel emotions, it's stronger when I'm touching someone though." The pup explained, "That's how I knew to trust you, I could feel you were kind and just as confused as I was." He rubbed his arm.

"Like an empath! That-That's incredible!!" Tails exclaimed, "How do you do it?! How does it work?!" They asked the young pup, leaning closer with excitement. "I.......I don't know." Aster responded. Tails looked disappointed and sighed, standing up straight again, "I guess I am afraid; you weren't wrong on that."

"I am too." The young pup said after a moment of silence. Tails sighed, "Don't worry! We're going to stick together and find my friends; they'll know what to do! They're amazing!" "If they're anything like you I'm sure they'll be great." Aster said, catching the fox off guard. Tails was ecstatic, his little tails wagging, "They are great, I promise."

Aster stepped in some mud, causing his foot to get stuck. "Is it always so sticky here?" The pup asked. "I don't know." Tails responded, pondering a bit, "I've never been here before but it's mud so yeah." The yellow fox then spotted a large tree root, jumping on to it and putting out their hand. "Here, take my hand and I'll pull you out. Trust me." Aster was a bit hesitant, but he put his hand in Tails'. 

The fox pulled the wolf pup onto the root with a large tug, Aster tripped a bit, but Tails helped him regain balance. "Thanks." The pup spoke quietly. "No problem!" Tails smiled, "Now let's keep moving." He jumped down, making sure to avoid the mud and they gestured for Aster to follow. 

★★★★

The moon was high in the sky and the stars twinkled as fire flys flew around the even darker forest, now that it was night. Aster sat on a log as Tails cook hot dogs over a fire he made, don't ask where they got the hot dogs.

"Oh, then there's Sonic!" Tails said as he was blabbing about his friends, "He's my big bro and his really fast, he calls himself the fastest thing alive. And then we have Amy! She has a hammer that can appear out of nowhere, it's really cool. Then there's my friend Knuckles, he's really strong and tough, although sometimes he can be a bit dull. Silver has telekinesis, which if you don't know is being able to move stuff with your mind." Tails looked over his shoulder to see it Aster understood, which he did.

Tails looked back at the fire as he continued and kept rotating the hot dogs. "When we first met Silver well... he basically had tried to kill Sonic, and... A lot of other things happened." The fox shuddered, "But he's really nice. Oh, and I can't forget Rouge and Blaze, Blaze is a princess from another dimension and has Pyrokinesis. Rouge on the other hand really likes jews and stuff like that, she's also a bat which means she can fly." 

"They all sound really cool." The wolf pup responded quietly. "They're amazing! Oh hot dogs are ready." Tails took the hot dogs off the stick he was using and put them in some buns, walking over to Aster. The fox sat down next to his friends and handed him a hot dog. "Sorry I don't have anything else."

"It's ok but... What are these?" The pup tilted his head. "You've never had a hot dog?" The twin tailed fox asked. The wolf shook his head in response. "Oh, well it's really good, try it!" Tails smiled and Aster looked at the hot dog before taking a bite, his eyes widening with curiosity.

"This is amazing." He said calmly. "You should try a chili dog." Tails responded as they took a bite. Aster tilted his head again, "A... Chili dog?" Tails looked at him blankly, blinking. "Be glad Sonic's not here."

Aster looked up at the stars as he leaned back and ate, they were bright and beautiful, reflecting in the young wolf's eyes.

~-------------------------------------~

 Please vote and comment your thoughts and feedback.

 ~-------------------------------------~