Chapter 35

We get small glimpses of what is happening during the long night battle. We get to see what happens just before and what happens towards the end of the battle. Lyarra receives a big hit she was not expecting. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

1 week later.

The cold air seemed to seep into his bones and he could not get warm. Everything was completely dark and this cold was not natural. Everyone was in place, but Jaime could not hear anything over the howling of the wind. There was someone on top of the tower and she would give the signal when the dead army was upon them. Then the dragons would set the trenches that had been dug outside of the castle on fire. For now, everyone was waiting and holding their breaths, they all knew death was coming.

"What if I fail?" Jaime looked at Jon, who was standing beside him. The younger man was afraid, not of the wights, but of failing all of them. Jon looked around, making sure no one could hear him, and lowered his voice. "What if I am like my father and do everything wrong, damming the seven kingdoms?"

"The fact that you are worried about failing the kingdom tells me you are not like your father." Jaime placed a hand on Jon's shoulders, giving him a gentle squeeze. "I do not see your father when I look at you, I see your mother."

"I wish I could have met her." Jon shook his head. "I always wanted to know who my mother was, what she looked like."

"Your mother looked just like your sister Lyanna does." Jon's eyes widened, apparently, he had never put much credit when people said Lyanna looked just like her namesake. "Your sister is the living image of your mother, except for the bright blue eyes. Your mother's eyes were more of a grey color, the same color as yours."

Jon looked a bit overwhelmed at Jaime's words, realizing that he had seen his mother in another woman, that he had watched her grow. Jaime knew what Jon was feeling, he had forgotten what his mother looked like. He wished he could remember Joanna's face, but it had been so long that he could not remember it any longer. His mother's face had been erased from his memory, as many things about her had. Jon had never actually met his mother, and what he heard about her growing up could not be very good. Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen had plunged the realm into a bloody war, which had caused a lot of death and pain. It must be hard living with that legacy following him around.

"Thank you." Jaime frowned, looking at Jon. "For not telling anyone about my parents. I know it must be a hard secret to keep."

Jaime did not say anything but felt a bit guilty. Oberyn was aware of Jon's secret and Jaime was thankful that for once the annoying man had decided to listen to him and not say anything. As far as Jaime was aware Daenerys had no idea that Jon was also a Targaryen. Jon and Ned were not aware that Oberyn knew about their secret. Jaime did not know what would happen after this war came to an end. Would Oberyn say anything? And what would Daenerys do? Would she attempt to kill them all to retake the Iron Throne?

Jaime's thoughts were interrupted as the watch tower was lit up. He felt his entire body tense as he watched Jon climb on his dragon. This was it, death was here.