Chapter 33

We hear from the army traveling North, Jaime is a bit puzzled by Ned's attitude. We see how Lyanna is handling staying behind. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Jaime sighed as he traveled down the road, Oberyn next to him. Neither man had said much since leaving their families. Not that there was much to say, it had been heart-wrenching, leaving his wife and children. The way Joanna and Katia had clung to him, crying and begging him not to leave had broken his heart. Tyrek, Edwin, and Jason had attempted to be strong, but Jaime had not missed the way his eyes had filled with tears. Then there were his two youngest sons, who did not even understand what was happening. Lyanna had given him her sweet smile, but he had not missed the pain in her eyes. She knew there was a large chance they would never see each other again. Last night Jaime had made love to Lyanna for hours, their lovemaking had been almost desperate. Afterward, she had pleaded with him to make it back, to return to him. She kept saying she did not want to raise their children without him.

"It was hard, was it not?" Jaime's head snapped to the side, looking at Oberyn. "Saying goodbye to your wife and children."

"Yes, it was much harder than I thought it would be." Jaime let out a sigh, looking as people walked past them. "It is ironic, I used to want to go into battle more than anything else."

"Yes, I was the same." For the first time, there was no amusement on Oberyn's face as he looked at Jaime. "But now I have something more important than battle and glory."

"Yes, so do I." Jaime smiled as he thought about his family. Lyanna's love, Tyrek's will, Edwin's easygoing attitude, Jason's perseverance, Joanna's pranks, Katia's sweetness, Kivan and Rowan's playfulness. He would even miss his father's annoyance with him. "I wanted to thank you for leaving Lyarra and your children in Kings Landing. Having Lyarra there will help Lyanna."

"It will help Lyarra also." Oberyn let out a sigh. "I did not want to leave her alone in Dorne, worrying and taking care of all our children. In Kings Landing, she has her siblings and mother to help her."

A shadow moved over them and Jaime looked up, frowning when he saw the three large dragons flying overhead. He was thankful the dragons would be fighting on their side, but he was still not comfortable around the beasts. Especially because he could see the hate in Daenerys's eyes every time she looked at him. The woman was waiting for an opportune time to burn him to a crisp. Lyanna had told him about the conversation she had with the Targaryen woman, that she had told her the truth about her father. Daenerys did not seem to care her father had been a murderer and a rapist, all she cared about was that Jaime had been the one to kill him. Daenerys blamed everything that had happened to her on Jaime, as far as she was aware he was the reason she had spent her life hiding from assassins. He had not bothered to correct her, she would not listen to him anyway.

Jaime had also been noticing the way Ned Stark would tense every time Daenerys approached Jon. The Targaryen woman had taken a liking to the Stark boy and for some unknown reason, it bothered Ned. The man was always watching Jon, a worried look on his face. Jaime did not understand why the northern lord was so worried about it. While Jon had become the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, he was still a young man and Daenerys was beautiful. Ned Stark's attitude was very suspicious and Jaime did not understand why. He could not ask him directly, his good father barely tolerated him on a good day. He did not want to think what Ned Stark would do if Jaime just started questioning him.

One of the things that unsettled Jaime about the woman was her eyes. He swore he could a shadow of the madness he had seen in the mad king's eyes. He was worried that she would snap one day, and given the fact that she had dragons, he did not want to think about the damage she could do.