Through The Window

The first term exams are about to start in less than two weeks, and like every other time, I'm unprepared

Because like every other time, I spent my regular school days doing nothing but goofing around and looking at the most handsome guys of our school with my bunch of friends instead of getting some actual work done.

So here we were, Claire, Meave and I, noting down everything we can find from Samantha's notebooks as the bell for lunch break is just seconds away. On our other side is Sindy, busy in her own world of imagination whereas Sofie, once again, is absent.

On the days before exams.

Finally the bell rings, signalling the start of lunch break as Mrs. McNille exits the class and the students began filing out one by one. I hear someone placing their pen down with a thud, only to find out that Claire is already done.

"I'm done."

"Already?"

"Why? Aren't you?"

"I have a few more equations left."

Yup. We were slacking in maths. Of all subjects.

"How many?"

"Err...two pages? Three maybe?"

"That's six equations."

"Really? I didn't know."

"Ari we are gonna be late."

"For what?"

Claire huffs beside me, folding her arms across her chest and burning a hole in the side of my head. "Ari!"

"Let me finish!"

Let's leave her then." Sindy says out of nowhere, making me frown despite my concentration. She continues. "Meave isn't done yet either. They will join us later."

Meave suddenly stops writing, turning her attention to the two girls. "Can't you all skip your flirting parade for just one day?"

"Meave. Finish your writing." I order, and the girl gets back to it without hesitation. It seems like Claire is waiting for my response, so I give her one without stopping my writing or lifting my head up. "The two of you can do whatever you want. I'm not coming unless I'm done finishing this."

I wanted to berate Sindy on her carelessness for her studies, but that seems extremely hypocritical given I myself am not serious about my studies until it's the eve of exams. But even if it's not hypocritical, Sindy being irresponsible isn't really my problem. And besides, she never listens to me anyway.

Without another word, Claire and Sindy leave, giggling to themselves about looking for a certain boy they stalked on social media. I release a sigh but never stop my work.

Couple of minutes later, I drop my pen, leaning my back against the chair as I release yet another sigh but this time out of relief to have finally finished the work.