Cutie

The walk back to our class was a silent one

The walk back to our class was a silent one. Well, just for me, but my friends still had a lot to complain about. Even after we were safely in our seats and the class had started, that was French, I stayed rooted to my spot, staring at the white board that clearly had nothing to teach me since I was a special case.

Why? Why am I so out of it you ask? Well, because my mind seems to be someplace else. Or more like on someone else. Someone I just saw. Someone so astoundingly beautiful, that the alarm in my heart just made the most foolish declaration.

I am in love.

Love at first sight.

"Earth to Ari. You with us?" Sindy's voice pulled me out of my trance, startling me as I stared at her with wide eyes. "You okay?"

I don't say anything. Because I don't really know what to say. I have never been this speechless my whole life. So I stared at her with my eyes wide and lips apart as Sindy's question garnered attention from the remaining three making them turn towards me in concern.

"Ari, you have been silent the whole time and it's...not like you. What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"Y-yes."

What...am I saying?

Am I...planning to tell them?

My answer must not have been what they were expecting because now the four exchanged looks before Meave asks. "Okay. What is it? Are you hurting somewhere?"

Well, they are my friends. And friends share everything, don't they?

I can tell them right? Sooner or later they will find out.

Best if it's now.

Here goes nothing.

"Guys." I start, making them all nod eagerly for me to go on. Taking in a long breath, I let the words tumble out of my mouth.

"I think I'm in love."

Silence.

For a long time, none of them say anything, but that is not because they are under shock. If anything, they look like they already knew, which makes me realise they have got the whole wrong impression. So I clear myself with one more word.

"Again."

This has mixed reactions. Meave raises an eyebrow. Claire's lips part, Sindy stares deadbeat at my face and Sofie looks like she is stifling her laughter.

When none of them say anything, I take that as my queue to just finish what I started. I mean, I already spilled the beans, might as well get this over with instead of beating around the bush.

"I saw him earlier in the staircase, in the crowd. He was coming down the stairs and we crossed paths. I know it's crazy but...I just...fell for him. And I don't even know who he is! He is just...such a cutie!"