Crushes & Admirer's

"So that's it for Human Reproduction

"So that's it for Human Reproduction. Any questions?"

"...I know, right? It was hilarious! The look on Sebastian's face when she jumped him!"

"Jump scare at its finest!"

"Even I would be scared!"

"You three! The last bench! Do you have any questions?"

Claire, Sindy and I jump out of our skins at being called out, but just as quickly as we were taken aback, Claire and Sindy are back to normal, having the galls to snicker despite Mrs. McNille's complete attention on us.

I guess that confidence came to them in the notion that Mrs. McNille's whole focus is on me instead of the three of us. So I stutter to make a response. "Y-yeah-! Yes ma'am!"

Mrs. McNille's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What 'Yeah!"? Did you understand the lesson or do you have a question Ms Manzel?"

"No!" I yell despite myself, making every single person gawk at my weirdness. "I-I- mean...I mean no I don't have any questions. Yes I understand."

"Really?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Then explain to me,"

Oh boy. I hate this. Why only me?

"What is the process of photosynthesis?"

Oh this? This is easy? I can say this!"

With a sudden burst of confidence, I say. "The process of combining light, oxygen and water to create sugar, or more like food for plants is called photosynthesis."

I smile despite myself, until I realise the whole class is silent, some shaking their heads in disapproval while some snicker at me. This makes my smile disappear as I wonder what I said wrong.

Isn't that what photosynthesis is? Did I get it wrong? Did I mess it up?

But it is light, oxygen and water! Or was it carbon dioxide?

What the heck! Are you stupid?

Then what is it!?

"Miss Manzel, what did we learn in class today?" Mrs McNille's voice is calm, but I can sense that disapproval in her face. I glance at the board behind her and read the title written in bold letters.

HUMAN REPRODUCTION.

Oh.

"Well?"

"It's... Human Reproduction."

"And do you think photosynthesis is a part of it?"

Silence.

"Answer me, Miss Manzel."

"No Mrs. McNille."

So that was what it was. A test. And I failed in it.

Why only me? Why am I being tested? What about Claire and Sindy?