Roll No. 29

What luck

What luck.

Right when I thought I would start adjusting.

Perhaps Rea is right. I should start mingling with people instead of waiting for them to come talk to me.

But how? It's so hard to approach people! How do others do it? How did Nat approach me when I first came?

I sigh heavily, running my fingers through my hairs as the final bell tolled, and a few minutes later Miss Manisha stalked in, register in hand.

Great.

"Attention please." Miss Manisha said once we had all greeted her, before she flipped the register open and began the roll call.

"Roll no. 1...2...3...4...5..."

As the numbers went, my head only dropped, for I was feeling queasy from sitting so front and all alone, like a loner.

Lesson learnt. Next time I decide to sit at the front, I will take the solo seat. No saying who will turn up and who will not.

"6...7...8...9...10..."

Please just get over this day already!

"11...12...13-"

"May we come in ma'am!?" Came a hasty voice from the door, turning every attention to the person to whom the voice belonged, myself included.

Gracious Heavens! It was Nat! And Railey!

The Heavens had heard my plea!

Life isn't so cruel after all!

"You are late." Miss Manisha said, staring at the duo in the doorway while the two fidgeted nervously, their bags slung over their shoulders. Meanwhile all I wanted to do was perform a happy dance in the centre of the class.

When the two girls made no move to make any excuses, Miss Manisha looked back at the register, as if getting students coming late to class was a usual thing. "Although you are late, you still managed to score front seats since Miss Manzel here was kind enough to save them for you two. Take your seats already. We don't have all day."

Wait...What?

I saved them seats? For real?

What on earth was this lady talking about?

My head whipped towards Nat, as if to say it was a miscalculation, but Nat was already smiling at me, and that just shut my mouth entirely. No use saying anything if it means she isn't cross with me anymore.

Slowly but surely the duo took their respective seats, Railey nearest to the window, then Nat, and then me.

"Hey!" Nat said, the moment she placed her bag down, smiling fondly. "Hey."

"Hey." Railey greeted, but more awkwardly since we weren't really friends and this was the first time we were interacting.

As if Nat had sensed it as well, she soon got to work. "Railey, this is my friend Ariana, she joined school last year just like me. Ariana, this is Railey, my childhood best friend who I have reunited with after years."