Chapter - 10

"3 years back I won my first interstate debate competition", Abhi started telling Akshara about the most dreadful time of his life. He is lost in his own world while telling Akshara about that day.

"Maa, I have won the competition", shouted Abhi and ran towards his mother. Manjari gathered her son in her arms and hugged him tightly. 

"Mujhe pta tha, mera beta yeh competition zaroor jeetega. Use smart koi nhi ho sakta hai", said Manjari proudly. She is proud of her son.

"Maa, apko pta hai there were 10 participants in the competition. I have defeated 9 people and won this trophy", said Abhi.

"I know, mera beta hai hi itna samajhdar. Chal aaj mai tujhe teri favourite ice cream khilati hoo", said Manjari. Abhi shouted and kissed her on the cheek. Both of them sat in the car. Manjari took the driver's seat whereas Abhi ride shotgun to her.

"Maa, maine apne school ko first debate competition jitwaya hai. kal assembly mai principal mam mujhe felicitate kregi", said Abhi proudly.

"Arey waah, yeh toh bahut achi baat hai. Aaj ek kaam krte hai phir hum sab bahar khana khane chalte hai. Tu ek kaam kr apne papa ko phone krke bta de aaj ka plan", said Manjari excitedly.

Abhi nodded his head and took his mother's phone to call his father. "Papa, I have won the debate competition. Yes, I have defeated 9 participants in the competition", said Abhi excitedly.

"Maa, wants us------", Abhi's voice stuck in his throat. One second, they are talking about their dinner plans and the next moment a car runs a red light and hits the driver's seat of their car with such force that the car flips over three times and finally lands on its roof on the sidewalk. 

"Everything happens in slow motion. I remember very clearly that our car was upside down and I was stuck in it. I feel blood trickling down from my head to the roof of the car. Maa is passed out beside me. Her face is covered in blood, and her eyes are wide open looking at me or I think assessing me for any injuries. Slowly maa's eyes start to close but I can't do anything", said Abhi without any emotion on his face.

"Akshu, I swear I want to help Maa that day. I wanted to scream out loud for help, but I didn't do anything. I can hear the voice of my father asking me what's going on, I can tell him everything. We are a family of doctors he can immediately send help to us, but I can't do anything. I can't speak up. I continue to look at my mother who is lifeless beside me. I can't help her Akshu. I can't", said Abhi in a haze. Tears are flowing from their eyes continuously.

Akshu didn't interrupt him. Let him speak whatever he wants to say. She needs to hear everything today.

"I don't know after how many minutes the help came for us. Hell, it could be hours. I don't know. But I remember that scene very vividly Akshu. A man yanks the door of the car, he had literally ripped the door out and carefully got Maa out of the car. He places her on the ground. Her face was covered with blood. There was blood dripping from her arms and so many shards of glass were pierced on her skin", said Abhi. He is still in his daze like reliving the day all over again.

"The other persons were working to get me out of the car. Since I was small it was easy for them to get me out of the car. They were working on me. I want to shout at them to help my mother, get her treated first but I can't", said Abhi and started crying hysterically.

Akshu could not see her friend like that, and she hugged him. She hugged him tightly. It was the first time they were hugging each other. They have been friends for 4 months now, but none of them ever initiated the hug.

"Abhi shh, stop crying. Shant ho jao. Isme tumhari koi galti nhi hai", said Akshara.

Abhi broke the hug and looked at her incredulously. "What are you saying Akshu? How was this not my mistake? Agar mai time pr bol deta ya papa ko bta deta toh aaj maa is condition mai nhi hoti. You know she lost her ability to walk only because of me", shouted Abhi. He got up from the bed and started throwing things here and there. Akshu is shocked to look at him like that. She had never seen this side of him.