35

as his strong arms enveloped me in a comforting hug, i should have felt a sense of security, a moment of solace in his embrace. but instead, a growing unease gnawed at the edges of my consciousness.

something felt wrong, out of place, as if there were unspoken words hovering between us, threatening to shatter the fragile moment. his embrace, while tender, held a weight i couldn't quite grasp.

my heart quickened, and i couldn't help but wonder if he had discovered something about me? my house doesn't have anything inside here. except for the gun, i'm hiding in my clothes right now. did he find it before? the thought sent a chill down my spine, and i couldn't shake the feeling that he knew something was amiss.

"what are you guys doing?" startled by taehyun's voice. i pushed yeonjun away from my embrace. losing my balance, i bumped hard into the kitchen counter. my heart as i felt the surge of embarrassment and panic. i didn't hear him walking inside. i again let my gaurd around yeonjun.

as i turned to face my friend, my cheeks burned with a deep blush, and i stammered, "oh, uh, we were just... talking." my voice was unsteady, and i desperately hoped that my friend hadn't noticed the closeness between us just moments ago.

yeonjun looked equally flustered, and there was an awkward tension in the air as we both tried to regain our composure.

"oh," taehyun paused as he assessed us both critically.

"uh, what are you doing here early in the morning?" i spoke up trying to break the awkward situation i just got myself into. taehyun, still glaring at yeonjun puts a bag on the kitchen counter.

"ruri, she asked me to bring you this soup. she told me you were craving for some last time."
me? when did i crave for soup?
"ruri? told you that?"
"yeah," he replied with same stoic expression.
"how nice of you to bring it for me?" i laughed as i quickly turned around towards the cabinet to fish out a bowl.

after eating, yeonjun was on his way out. while taehyun stayed back to give us some space.

"does he always come to your place like that?" yeonjun suddenly asks, breaking the silence.
"like that? oh you mean without asking? yes, it's normal for us. he is like my brother."
yeonjun when wore his shoes turned around to face me, his face laced with serious expression, "still, he is a man."

"why are you jealous?" i asked playfully hoping to get a serious reply like 'no, i was just worried for you as a friend.'
but, instead he said, "yes, i am!"

his unexpected response caused my heart to race and a wave of nervousness washed over me, like a sudden strom.

my hands began to feel clammy, and i could feel my pulses quickening.  yeonjun's presence had a effect on me. but, now him admitting he is jealous. i tried to steady my breath, and calm the butterflies in my stomach, but nervous energy lingered because of all these unwanted feelings that were developing inside of me.

he must sense my nervousness, so he leans in closer, his eyes softening with a reassuring smile. with a gentle touch, he playfully boops my nose and says, "don't worry, we'll figure it out when we're back in college. and until then, no need to be worried."

he turned around, opening the door and walking out of my house. the door closed, i kept staring at the door my heart pounding wildly. a small smile appearing on my lips. damn! this man really knows his game.

"you'll get hurt!" taehyun's voice creeped in my ear.

reina turned around, facing taehyun. her eyes wide opened as she smiled cynically.

"it doesn't matter. i want him."

taehyun clicked his tongue, as he watches reina smiling, obsession visible in her eyes.

reina was overall a simple minded girl, she never gets too attached to things. but, when she does get attached. she'll have it, no matter what.

"once he knows your truth do you think he'll like you."
"it doesn't matter, he should've left me when i gave him a chance."

choi yeonjun, is now her new obsession. i rubbed my face, trying to come up with a resonable argument.

"what will you do? if he finds out your truth. when he knows how many people you killed. reina, his world is different from us."

i watch as she ambled back into the living room, her crimson lips curled into a dangerous smile. her obsidian eyes, usually filled with mischief, are now burning with intensity. she stops in front of me, and her voice drips with a dangerous sweetness.

"taehyunie!" she purrs, her fingers tracing my shoulder. "i don't want to listen another word related to yeonjun. you better make sure he doesn't find out about me. do you understand?" her threat hangs in air like stormy clouds.

i nod, my heart pounding. she is my friend, like my own sister. i can't watch her being hurt and relationships built on lies don't last long. how do i explain this to her?

she flashes a wicked smile, her red lips curling up in a way that sends shivers down my spine. it's a smile that hides a thousand secrets, a smile that tells me i return the smile, masking my concern, and hope that someday she'll understand. she is throwing arrows in darkness.