chapter 33

the test 

the test 

Alaska parked the car in front of the restaurant, annoyingly watching her brother leave the car. "You owe me, don't you dare say I never do anything for you again."

Hyunjin rolled his eyes at her, "whatever."

"Be nice so Mr. Byun doesn't think our whole family is as dumb as you, alright?" She grinned at him. He completely ignored her comment and just left the parking lot. Alaska sighed, picking up her phone to call her soulmate - and also her childhood crush that she still couldn't believe finally asked her to be his girlfriend - before leaving.

Hyunjin had walked inside the restaurant, quickly fixing his hair before looking around to see where his girlfriend and her dad were. Izzy noticed him first and waved at him, signing for him to come over, which he did.

"Good afternoon," he slightly bowed, hoping to come out as respectful but also not overdoing it. Izzy's dad chuckled, commenting for him to sit down.

"Amy left before her dessert came so you can have hers," Izzy explained the piece of cake in front of him. "You might need it," she commented, glancing at her dad.

Hyunjin watched them confusedly while her dad chuckled. Hana was just quietly sitting between them, starting to regret she didn't leave before. Maybe she could, maybe she should.

As Izzy's dad started introducing himself to Hyunjin, Hana took out her phone, sending Seungmin a fire emoji.

Soon after, she got an incoming call from her boyfriend, asking if she could come over. Hana looked at Izzy next to her, questioning if she would mind or not. Izzy sighed, "fine, go. Tell Seungmin to stop stealing you from me though."

Hana smiled, nodding. "It'll be fine," she assured her before leaving, talking about Hyunjin meeting her dad. Izzy slightly nodded, watching the shorter girl walk out of the restaurant.

Hana sighed once she got out, glad that she and Seungmin picked an emoji that meant they needed saving from an awkward situation.

"You probably scared her away," Izzy commented towards her dad.

He shook his head, ignoring her comment. "Well, Hyunjin, what about you tell me who you are now?"

Hyunjin gulped, quickly glancing at Izzy for some help. He would have never thought he would be intimidated by a simple "who are you?" question, but it was happening. "Hwang Hyunjin, twenty three years old from Seoul. I uhm, I am currently studying art while also trying to become an idol group with my friends."

"That's nice," he proclaimed, slightly nodding. "Did you know Izzy loves art? And music, you're basically doing exactly what she would want her boyfriend to do."

"I am aware, Mr. Byun," Hyunjin answered. "I would like to make music that she loves."

Izzy's dad smiled, happy about his answer. The boy opposite him, however, wasn't smiling as much. "Dad, I told you to not scare him away," Izzy said, noticing the look on Hyunjin's face. It wasn't that he would be scaring him away, but Hyunjin had no idea what to expect, and that scared him.

"We're just having a nice talk, right Hyunjin?"

"Yes, yes, of course," he blurted out right away.

"And you surely wouldn't mind if I asked you a few questions about my daughter, right Hyunjin?"

Hyunjin hesitated at first, but decided to just answer everything honestly, no matter what the questions were. He knew he wasn't trying to scare him away - maybe just a little bit - but he just wanted to make sure his daughter's boyfriend was worth her. He would do the same in his place.

"Ask away," Hyunjin nodded, making the smile on his face grow even wider.

"I start simply then, do you remember her birthday?"

"April 9th, she is an Aries."

"Her favorite color?"

"She switches them, but it's mostly orange or black, blue sits in the background."

Izzy's eyes widened. She didn't even know he knew stuff like these. It made her smile, it must mean he really paid attention to her and what she was saying.

"What does she want to be?"

"A teacher, or a graphic designer."

"Do you know the color of her eyes?"

"Chocolate, sir. Her eyes are brown like a chocolate," he answered confidently, not even glancing her way to check.

"Her favorite food?"

"Onigiri, and it's because of one of her favorite anime characters."

"Very well," he smiled. "I like you, Hyunjin," he chuckled. "Please, call me Katashi."

Hyunjin's eyes widened when he realized he actually did it. He managed to make an impression like he wanted, and it was a good one. He smiled, slightly bowing in his place again. "Thank you, sir- Katashi."

Izzy breathed out in relief, smiling at her boyfriend. He really was the best. She was lucky to have him as her soulmate.

"See? I know how to pick a nice boyfriend," Izzy turned to her dad, making him laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, but you know I had to test him first. You understand that, right Hyunjin?"

"I do," he agreed. "I have a younger sister, I wouldn't want her to date just anyone either."

"Right, Alaska. How is she doing?" He asked.

"She's good, dad, I am over my crush on her so you can stop wondering about her all the time," she proclaimed. "And of course he understands you, he wouldn't even let her own soulmate date her if I haven't stepped in."

"Hey! I just want the best for her," he argued, making her shake her head with a laugh.

Her dad chuckled too, watching the two of them with a smile. The universe did a good job with pairing them together. He knew that now.