Chapter 88

Nandini: (wiping away her tears) Where's Dadda?

Dhruv: (standing at the door) He's sleeping right now.

Nandini: Sleeping?

Dhruv: Yeah, he had a panic attack, so Abhi gave him a sleeping injection to calm him down.

Nandini: (softly) Oh...

Dhruv: (patting her head) You'll be okay. We're all here for you.

Nandini managed a small smile in response.

Nandini: Can you all please leave me alone for a while? I need some time alone.

Navya: But, Nandini...

Nandini: Please, Di.

The others exchanged glances and reluctantly decided to leave the room.

Mukti: If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask, okay?

Nandini nodded, and the others left her alone in the room. She got up from the bed with a blank expression and went to the balcony attached to their room. She sat on the bean bag there, gazing at the stars as it was almost nighttime.

Nandini's POV:

I don't know what to say or think. I feel empty. I thought I was about to start a new chapter of my life, but life keeps throwing me into problems I never even imagined. Sometimes I wonder if God hates me so much that whenever I'm happy, the very next moment, I find myself in such a situation that I can't even comprehend. Because of me, Dadda and everyone else have to suffer. (teary-eyed) I'm scared. I don't want to die.

Nandini's POV end. 

She continued to sit there, gazing at the sky, wondering what else life had in store for her.

One hour later:

In the living room, there was complete silence. No one felt like talking. Everyone was lost in their own thoughts when they heard Manik groan.

Manik slowly opened his eyes, trying to make sense of his surroundings and remember what had happened. Suddenly, the reality hit him – Nandini, his beloved, had cancer. He looked around, searching for someone.

Manik: Where's Nandini?

Alia: She's in your room.

Manik: Alone?

Mukti: She asked for some alone time.

Abhi: Manik, I know this is a tough time, but you need to be strong for her. You're the only one who can support her.

Manik nodded without saying a word. He got up and made his way to their room, with the others watching him go.

Manik stood in front of the door but hesitated to open it. A single tear rolled down his cheek, which he quickly wiped away. He took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. Upon entering, he was puzzled to find the room in complete darkness. He switched on the lights and saw that the room was empty. He then noticed the balcony door was open. Manik went to the balcony and found Nandini sitting there, lost in her thoughts, unaware of his presence.

Manik: (softly) Baby.

Nandini slowly turned to look at Manik and saw him standing there, giving her a sad smile, which she returned. Manik picked her up and sat on the bean bag with her on his lap. She rested her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat, while Manik gently stroked her hair.

After a prolonged silence:

Manik: Are you okay, baby?

Nandini: (smiling) Yes, Dadda. I know that as long as you're with me, nothing can harm me. So why should I worry? I'm Dadda's strong and brave girl. I'll fight this cancer.