Chapter 23

"Dev ji, aap bhi??"(You?)

"Dev ji, aap bhi??"
(You?)

Ruhanika questioned as she fixed her gaze on the person who was gasping for air, in front of her.

"Jee." Dev's head bobbed. "Did you hear what happened? Why was Tara's ask so urgent?" He pondered.
(Yes.)

"Did she also call you?" Ruhanika fretfully enquired. Dev sighed and shook his head in disapproval.

"Muskan called me and said Tara was freaking out, then she cut the call off." Ruhanika made an o expression.

"Pataa nahi. Mai bhi issi liye bhaagi-bhaagi aai hu." Ruhanika explained as she wiped away the perceptual beads from her forehead with a saree's loose end. The sweat continued to trickle down onto her skin.
(I don't know. That's why I also came running.)

When Ruhanika arrived at the locality's entry point, the auto-rickshaw stopped moving, so she rushed towards the Shrivastava residence, where she encountered Dev in the garage, who had just parked his bike there.

So, she had the idea to ask him if he knew anything, but it turned out he was just as clueless as she was.

He uttered, "Chaliye." With a nod, she added, "Jaldi chaliye." and walked behind him. Their movements were quick as they traversed the living room and made their way up the stairs before being stopped by a harsh voice that resounded in the room and stopped them in their tracks.
(Let's go.)
(Yes.)

"Dev!!" Bhavna yelled as she exited from her room, with an authoritative expression on her face.

Dev cautiously turned around and cast a quick peek towards Bhavna's direction. Ruhanika wanted to get away from the situation, but she could feel Bhavna's eyes on her as well. As a result, she came to a halt alongside Dev. She didn't want to leave there disrespecting Bhavna because that would start a new dispute in the house, which she didn't want to handle right now because she was already concerned about Sitara's call.

"Good evening, Bua." Dev gave a nod.

Bhavna scoffed as she gazed, "Abhi dopahar hai. Aaj tum jaldi aa gaye iska matlab ye nahi hai ki aaj shaam jaldi ho gayi." Dev softly nodded while standing as bit his tongue on his mistake. Even though he was concerned for Sitara, he couldn't break off the conversation in the middle. He was looking at Bhavna briefly before returning to the upstairs.
(It's afternoon. Just because you came early today doesn't mean it's early in the evening.)

"Tumhari Biwi ne bulaya isliye jaldi aayaa na tu!?" Bhavna asked with exasperation lacing her tone.
(Your wife called, so you came early, didn't you?)

Dev remained silent and made no comments. Bhavna mocked, "Ek dam apni biwi ka gulam banta jaa rahaa hai," after noticing his quietness. She commented, but Ruhanika heard her because she was standing close to Bhavna, and she turned to look at Dev, who didn't seem to hear her.
(He is becoming a slave to his wife.)