Prologue

A loud murmuring and chattering noise resonated across the corridors

A loud murmuring and chattering noise resonated across the corridors. Students slowly started to spread out. A handful of youngsters were jovial and loose as if the examinations were of no significance to them.

Well, it would be accurate to some extent if they were the children of some Richie-rich person in question.

Her ears picked up distinct sounds of students debating the level of difficulty of the question paper.

Students' forehead creases reached their ears, and a mournful sigh escaped from their throats, with little hope rooted in their hearts for a decent seat in one of the country's top legal firms.

Unlike the other students, who had scrunched their eyes and pressed their faces into the paper, thinking whether the answers they had written were correct or not.

She had a huge grin on her face.

Sitara emerged from the exam room beaming with glee. Today was the last day of her academic career, and she had, at last, finished all of her examinations and assessments with zeal and diligence.

All the nighters she had pulled seemed successful to her. She had no doubts that she could land a job at a prestigious law firm in the whole country. The corners of her eyes became glassy as she stared up at the sky.

She brushed away her tears before they dropped, then got into a cab to go home, giving the driver the directions. She looked down at her henna-covered hands, and her face and body gleamed yellow from the turmeric paste's aftereffect. She, arguably appeared more beautiful than she was already.

She peered out the window to see the pedestrian walking; there were not many cars on the road, aside from her own. The sun, which was directly overhead, was blazing fiercely.

She sighed as she continued to contemplate. Yes, she was getting married, and today was the faithful day, however, she was feeling unsettled about the whole thing.

Why, she couldn't explain.

She was pleased with the path and choices she had made for herself. Armaan Mehra. He was a student who inquired her about the precise whereabouts of the auditorium. She had first met him during her freshman year of college amid an intercollegiate debate tournament.

They spoke for only five minutes, yet their chemistry was evident right away. She was not blind to miss the sultry chemistry between them. And that's how she got to know him.

They had been in touch after then, and days had slipped by. On a beautiful day, he had popped the question to her in front of her friends and his parents with a gorgeous solitaire ring on his knee. She won't lie about how surprised she was. It was one of the most valuable shocks she had ever received.

She informed her parents about it right away. Following this utterance, the room grew silent, just as a typical Indian parent would reprimand their child about these things; the same thing happened to her.