Chapter 2

"Why did you agree, Di?" After a moment of absolute silence, Sitara questioned

"Have you lost your mind? Trading your life for something so little."

Ruhanika looked at her but said nothing. She was already dressed in the spare bridal dress that had been made for Sitara in case the primary one was damaged.

"Why don't you say anything?"

Sitara asked angrily, but Ruhanika seemed too busy pacing around packing her belongings. Because Sameer's secretary had informed them that this house would be auctioned tomorrow to settle all debts, they ought to take whatever they needed with them because this mansion would no longer be theirs after today.

Sitara was fed up. Her older brother had been the hope and support she assumed he would be for their life following their parents' departure, but in the last few hours, that flawless vision had crumbled before her eyes.

And now her sister is going to sabotage her life. She cannot stand by and allow that to happen. Ruhanika was holding the book when Sitara pulled it from her grasp and approached the woman. The several pins the beautician had put in her hair had already given her a headache.

"Di, why are you acting this way?"

As Sitara asked, tears began to escape her eyes from the frustration and annoyance she was currently experiencing. Today she felt terribly worthless. Awfully useless.

Ruhanika's expression softens. She sat, cradling Sitara in her arms, and massaged her back. Sitara appeared at ease as her weeping continued.

"On your last birthday, the wish you demanded from me. I'm simply granting that wish."

Ruhanika grinned as she wiped Sitara's tears away. Sitara's eyes began to mist up once more as she heard this. She didn't want her wish to come true in this manner. No, not under the conditions where Ruhanika would have to instinctively give up her life. No, never.

"But Di, I never intended for it to turn out like this."

Her sobbing voice rang out throughout the room. Ruhanika let out a sigh. It was more difficult than she thought.

"Look, Tara. The future is currently unknown to us. Everything is unforeseen. So what life offers you are options, and you must choose wisely. And at this moment, staying with you and getting married to this Dev guy would be the finest decision I could make. Once that is through, whatever difficulty lies ahead, at least you and I will be together. Collectively, we will tackle everything.

Ruhanika revealed everything to her.

"Do you trust Bhaiya's decision, because I can't anymore."

Sitara inquired because, following the confrontation in Sameer's study, she had lost faith in him. Most crucially, she had no idea who that elderly uncle was or what he had told Sameer to get him to consent to this marriage.