CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

There's music thumping and blaring in the house across the street

There's music thumping and blaring in the house across the street. The bass is so loud it vibrates my seat. When my eyes adjust to the blinding flood lights, I'm greeted with solo cups and beer cans staggered around the property, and kids playing beer pong on the front lawn. They're wooing and cheering, stumbling and drunk. Just like I want to be.

I wipe my face dry of the tears I cried the whole car ride here and rummage through empty water bottles in my trunk for the only bottle filled with vodka. The swigs I take are some of, if not the most, satisfying sips of my life. A here's to getting time away from Mom sip and a here's to turning my boyfriend gay sip. What was I supposed to say? You can't like Declan? I set it in motion.

"Hey!" Someone screams from across the street. I throw the water bottle back in my trunk and slam it shut.

"We need another person for flip cup, want in?"

A blonde girl walks closer to the edge of the street. "Please?" She smiles, her face is flushed and sweaty but still, she looks flawless.

"Sure." I smile.

The blonde girl turns around and throws her hands up. "She said yes!"

They all woo and cheer me on. A couple of other girls go as far as prancing on over and linking arms with me.

"My name is Jenna, b-t-dubs. Thank you for agreeing to play."

Who would say no to free beer? I need it right about now.

"No problem." I smile.

"This is Dima." she points to the brunette linked in my left arm. "And this is Ms sunshine on a cloudy day, Mel." she points to the Redhead on my right.

"Don't worry, we got you." Mel nods and confidently smirks. "We're gonna kick some ass!!!" she screams as she releases herself from me, running to the lawn and throwing her hands up victoriously.

Again, the crowd woos and cheers us on.

"Wait!" Dima runs up to Mel and whispers in her ear. Mel's eyes widen and she runs over to Jenna. Jenna's eyes do the same thing.

"What about her?" Dima asks.

Oh fuck, you guys were the one who invited me over here to play a game we're not fucking playing. Don't act like I'm an inconvenience. "I have a name you know, it's Aubrey."

Both Jenna and Mel stare at me like I'm an alien they have no idea what to do with. "Ugh." Jenna scoffs. "Come on!" she grabs my hand and pulls me inside the house. The inside is no different from the outside. In here, the music is louder, and the walls look like they're close to crumbling. Pictures on the wall hang crooked and there's little to no decor. Beer cans, boxes and cups are everywhere. Couples are making out and groping each other, groups of people smoking weed—something I wouldn't mind right now—and others dancing in the living room.