Chapter 27: The Echoes of Evil

Malgorog departed from Dunakyne, embarking on a journey to Numaneria, where he would gather his troops and set out to find Maximus.

He promised Veargoth that he would get his task done, even if it took an army. He wouldn't let his son rise, finding his weight.

The throne was his, and this world was his masters.

It would be at least a week or two of riding, but he would have some fun on the way. If he were to sense Max before getting to Numaneria, then he could just summon his army with a crow. The closer he was to Max, the stronger his dream traveling would be.

It wasn't the same as traveling through Solus to Kolasi, but it was still possible, and he would try it. He had tried it before, but something was protecting the boy's mind, and his sleep.

This time, though, he had the drive, and would use his Stone of Chaos to break whatever barrier keeping him out of Max's mind. His mind was filled with ideas, and he felt a renewed sense of purpose.

The echoes of dark speech echoed through the rubble as John and Veargoth spoke. Their voice deep, vigorous and hostile. Veargoth could sense that his old master had yet to fully take John, but hoped that Malgorog would complete his ending task in order to get rid of the pest.

The human was strong, and now Veargoth understood why Mirgahnaeth had chosen this vessel. His physical strength was matched only by his emotional fragility. His soul was unwilling to depart from his body because of his love and compassion for his friends. Yet his mind was so weak that something as simple as power and promises of ruling could manipulate and seduce it. An emptiness that lay deep in his heart needed filling, even if that filling was darkness.

They walked past the room where Veargoth was resurrected, and the putrid smell of decay hung heavily in the air.

"This path reminds us of what has happened, and what we will never allow to happen again." Veargoth croaked, leading him even further down the cemetery of elves, dwarves, and peril.

"Where are you leading me?" John asked, ignoring the crunching sounds under his boots.

There was no answer, only the whispers of wind, the clattering of mice, and the breaking of a hundred-year-old bones filling the noiseless void.

"How is this possible? How did you become...you through my friend? Even if your soul was resurrected, how could your old form also take his place?" John tried breaking the silence once more. Pain and fear swelled in his voice. Elvish and dwarvish whispers erupted and echoed off the crumbling walls.

"You and your friend are of Eligch Bleid. You are what the Elders sensed. You were the strongest... Your stench the tastiest. So we marked you with His mark. Your friend was fortunate enough to be dead through the Resectionis."

"Eligch Bleid?"

Veargoth looked at John and smiled, flashing his fangs. "Elders Blood."

Before John could comprehend what that meant, they reached where the Elder was bringing him. Hundreds...no thousands of warriors standing in front of a grand temple that was being built by Goblins and enslaved trolls. The path they were on was clear - being guarded by thousands of Goblins, trolls, and Morsalas - large winged beasts with the bodies of a lizard and the head of a bat.

The temple was being built of stone and was halfway to completion.

A new temple for a new King.

"The Temple of Dunakyne will once more rise. Built to last under your rulership, my Master. These armies are yours to command. The peace of this world will at last be in reach once more, and all the power will be in your palms."