Chapter 14: The Withered

Melancholy sat in the room of council alone, running his pointed claws through his thick fur. His heart grew weary of the evil lingering in the air, and the vile odor that trailed close behind. Memories of his old friend were taking hold of him once more, no matter how hard he tried to evade them. Remembering him only as a child who had used to climb on his shoulders, towering over all who waddled near. The laughter of both filling the splendid halls of Numaneria.

The council room was one of the larger rooms, and its ornate decorations and grand architecture only added to its vastness.

It was the only room in the entire castle that was kept in order since the day of their banishment. Though, it was only Melancholy doing the work. The rest couldn't care less, for they were busy hunting those who tried entering Max's realm to feed on innocent people, stealing their humanity.

Humans of Kolasi endured these night horrors and paralysis, only thinking their a normality. Just another sleepless night. Filled with terrors only their imaginative minds could have possibly made up. Yet when they wake going about their day, they feel drained. They felt less of who they were, and worst of all, they couldn't articulate why. Why they felt a void filling their existence, evacuating any form of joy they once knew. Why suddenly their energy depleted quicker than usual, inflicting anxiety and depression upon them. The sadness slowly seeped into their lives, drop by drop until their tears ran dry.

Paintings of the great historical events of Findara decorated the walls. In each corner was a torch to keep it lit, and somewhat warm. There was a large table with five chairs made of millettia laurentii sitting at it. Angers chair left untouched, as well a sixth chair, sitting at the head of the table. Left there, hoping to be warmed again not only by a king, but a dear friend. The room, as well as the castle, was designed to look like their home in Numaneria, enabling the Withered to cling to a sense of familiarity amongst the chaos.

Melancholy was in a state of deep contemplation, as he often was. Reflecting on the sadness and heartbreak that seemed to haunt him, destroying any glimpse of the joy he may have sought.

"I knew I would find you here, commander, always here. Constantly cleaning and tidying a room that has not been used in a decade. Why? Why do you do it? You could be out there, like you used to. Getting your sword wet with that of blood and justice for those that are fed on. You waste your time here. I ask again - why?" Anxiety questioned, shutting the council room door behind him.

Melancholy did not look away from the only window in the room, watching the ever-growing wisteria slither its way in. It covered the castle's walls, and in cases like this, entered it with no objection.

"This damned plant." Melancholy finally said, keeping his golden-yellow eyes locked onto the invader. A subtle wetness slowly following behind.

"Growing in every damned place. I have even pulled it from under my armor, and places the light has yet to gaze upon."

"Melancholy. Be serious. This is not the time for your jests, nor the time for you to just be sitting here, reminiscing about the past. The past is set in stone, and no amount of regret could alter it. We must move forward. Protect Meahkthran. Is that not reason enough for you to fight again?"

The larger of beasts rose from his chair and slowly pushed it inwards in a neat, orderly fashion. Slowly, he turned his eyes to Anxiety, and his snarl grew louder as he bared his sharp, protruding teeth.

"I meant no offense. You know this. I-I-I only meant...I only meant to suggest that we need you out there. You are our commander. Our friend. We need you. Our king needs you." Anxiety stuttered nervously.

"I keep this room tidy. I keep it clean. I keep it neat." Melancholy said, looking around, his paws on his hips as he strides around the room.

"Until today, have any of you cared to ask why? No...I do not think it has ever come up. Nor has any help arose."