Chapter 38

♥⁠╣CLAY╠⁠♥

"I'VE SEEN THAT look before", Jabari Rashford started.

Clay poured the whiskey sour in his mouth hating the sting that it brought to his throat and that was a first.

This was the reason he liked alcohol. Because it stung, because it tasted like shit because it made him forget but now the same same alcohol that calmed him on most days wasn't doing its job.

His eyes wandered off to the pink shores where the sun settled without a care in the world, adding a rather beautiful glow that somehow just had Brooklyn looking like Athena with the sun at her feet and his heart on her sleeve.

In denim booty shorts and a white crop top,  she walked along the shores with Chunky running after her.

Her hair got swept by the wind but she didn't care as her toned legs traversed the sand like she would die if she didn't explore every inch of it.

She kicked a few shells out of the way and man that smile. Fuck that smile was all he ever wanted to see because believe it or not, the blondie was changing him.

Or maybe she had changed him from the instant they ran into each other in her father's mansion.

When she was crying and he was his usual apathetic self who didn't care about the situation.

Fast forward to now, if she so much as broke a nail, he would be at her feet kissing the pain away.

"Pray tell uncle, what look?" Clay asked dryly.

His hands hung from the edge of the railing, swirling the glass of whiskey and getting lost in the brown ice cubes.

Whatever Jabari Rashford was going to say next was something Clay didn't have the energy to argue about.

His family...even the not blood-related type had something in common and that was getting nosy and being blunt about it.

And hey, he came all the way here so Jabari getting nosy about his love life was an eventuality he wouldn't escape from.

From his periphery, Clay watched as Jabari swigged the contents of his glass and wiped the remnants of it from his bushy stubble.

"When are you going to tell her?"

The statement hung low in the air and to Clay it came as a surprise and an attack making his jaw ripple.

Oblivious to Clay's reaction to the question,  Jabari continued.

"I'm not just anyone, kid. I'm the person you come to when you feel shit about yourself and hey I'm not complaining but you've gotta give me something"

Clay scoffed.

"I haven't been a kid for a long time, you know that. I came because your villa is the best place to get away from everything"

"Right", His uncle sneered.

Clay stood straight, eyes glinting towards Brooklyn who coincidentally waved at both of them with the biggest smile she could summon.

"I'll tell her just...not now"

"That's the same thing I kept telling myself when I found out I had a thing for your mother. Spoiler alert: I'm in my early fifties single as fuck and your mom's happily married to your father so trust me holding things back never goes well for guys like us"

"Guys like us?"

Jabari breached the space between them placing his arm on Clay's shoulders. A habit he'd grown used to since Clay was a kid.