Chapter 18

♥⁠╣CLAY╠⁠♥

IF THE LOUD AS FUCK photographer said 'pizzazz' one more time he was sure he'd break the damn camera to pieces.

"Thank you. My friend, she really needed this", Brooklyn spoke stuffing her mouth with a raspberry glazed donut.

"How did you two meet?"

The minute he installed the CCTVs at her place, he asked for a file about Brooklyn. He knew everything there was to know about the woman seated in front of him.

Still it was good to establish small talk if they were going to attend a party together.

Placing her donut on the plate that was white seconds ago, she wiped her lips with a napkin missing a spot by the corner of her lips.

She was a messy eater.

"Kindergarten and we've been inseparable since. Why are you asking?"

"I'm trying not to be an insufferable bastard"

He easily quoted her remark from yesterday.

"By establishing small talk?" She asked, a distant smile forming on her lips.

"Is it working?"

"No", the lie came as fast as the blush on her cheeks before she stuffed her face once again with the fatty monstrosity that was a donut.

"What about the other one with the fish?"

"Carter?" She laughed,"he was joking about the piranhas just so you know. Well as much as he'd hate to hear this, he's always been the cliche gay best friend from college"

Right the gay best friend she'd met in Santa Monica college. While Calandria had aced a chance at Princeton, Brooke had gone to some cheap college in Santa Monica.

It didn't seem logical why Alistair would send one daughter to an elite college and the other to a college no one had ever heard of. Clay could only make the conclusion that Brooke was dumber than Calandria.

The thought that Alistair Konstantinos was playing favorites crossed his mind but he shoved the idea to the back of his head.

Alistair was a bastard no doubt but surely he loved both his daughters equally.

"How was college like for you?"

He asked.

He hated small talk. Hated was an understatement because one minute into his family dinners and he would make excuses about work popping up just to get out of one of his dad's 'tell me how you've been' questions.

"College was college. Parties, getting drunk, making out and tons of sex. I'd bet my lucky sock you were the geeky type in college"

He wasn't.

He was the very definition of bad boy. A ladies' man.

"I was more of the rookie type. Steroids, parties"

Her eyes wide in amusement, she smirked,

"You? Into drugs? An actual being going to parties?" She gave him a once over before asking, "what changed?"

Hannah did.

Ashton's backstabbing did.

But with a simple answer, he retorted,

"I grew up. Ryder was a lost cause and I was the only sober twenty year old who had a good head on his shoulder and the spirit to carry on the Cervantes' legacy"

Nibbling the last of her donut, her eyes glanced at him and for the first time he could read everything going on behind those big pools of brown.

"That must have been hard. The pressure of knowing everyone relied on you? That you were to continue the family business?"