Prologue #1

Damien 🥀

14 years ago

They starve us for 2 days, at least, before giving us strange item to eat. I don't know what that thing is but it boosts our physical strength and fills up our stomach so we can survive the starvation and the tests continuously running on our brains.

Their mercenaries never happen to come into our cells unless it is to get us moving to the next test. That is the only time we step out of these four dark walls with only one small window far up in the corner of the wall that I can't reach. Only reason we don’t suffocate and die. 

I sit on the lower bunk bed, staring down at the floor aimlessly. My heart, void of any emotions. My brain, clear of any thoughts, and my soul, empty of any essence of life.

They always come in masks, glasses and suits that cover their bodies entirely. Not even an inch of skin visible. The same size hood, boots, black clothes, all the attire in the same size to hide who they are. Even the doctors and the men behind this experiment are all anonymous to us.

No name, no face, no way of recognising them if they walk past us on the road.  But I will find them in the future.

"Number 7th died too." Cade spoke without any sympathy from above, flipping on the empty lighter he found littered on the ground. My cellmate of 6 months.

I'm not surprised at that. There was a total of 10 young males they had kept as their victims, including me and Cade, at the start. 3 of them already died due to inability to handle the brain experiments they run on us.

"How do you know? It was just a scream." I say. Even though we haven't been led out for the past 4 days, we can hear the sounds coming from neighbouring cells. Guttural, heart-wrenching screams…

Their wails haunt us in our sleep. But I'm going to get out of here. If I'm to die, I'll take them to hell with me.

"7th screamed the same way the last 2 did in their final moments. It was the last sound he is going to make. We're not so far from doing the same." He spoke in a factual voice. Over the course of 6 months, I have heard Cade’s intonation turn to monotone, hard to decipher any trace of human emotion. I think, same can be said about me.

They say, only a monster can create another monster. I am becoming the living proof of the statement.

A cold monster who is hungry for their blood.

⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅

2 months ago.

The sound of the keyboard clicking under my fingertips is harmony in the darkness of this room. A pile of computers with other secret but deadly tech devices lined in on the enormous console table of my home office.

George Williams. Age 54. A well-known lawyer. His profile is showing on my computer screen along with his shady biodata which is too well hidden from the world, except me.

I click on his picture. His black hair with strands of white recently cut short. His smile looked genuine but I can clearly see the sick intentions in his wrinkled eyes. A clean record with all the dust slid under the rug.

I have looked at this thousands of times before, but it's never enough. The lava erupting in my core never calms.

I switch to his daughter's profile. Zaria Williams. Age 25. An award-winning author. Her smile brightened her demeanour. I wonder if she is her father’s daughter. All sweet with devious intentions. Does she know how many suffered because of her?

The mug of coffee shattered on the floor in hundreds of tiny pieces when I swiftly tossed it. My body lit up with fire, flames burning on my skin everywhere. Even her photo is fuelling up my thirst of revenge.
The anger, the hate, the feeling of vengeance is all that's left inside of me.

All he did was for her. Because of her. Killing her would be too easy and unfair to my pain. I want her to suffer. I want them to suffer. There's no one who can save them from my wrath.

I have taken over the family business running for generations, ever since I escaped. I worked my ass off to make it stand at the heights of success. The Achlys group is No. 1 in the world's most successful businesses.

It isn't just a business, it's royalty. The Achlys airline, luxury goods, jewellery, fashion industry, film industry, grand hotels, clubs, marine, real estates, malls, and whatnot. I've made it stand at No.1 in the world.

Not only that, Me and Cade have established our own underground organisation called ‘The Hunters' to hunt those who are the reason for our misery. To hunt those who are the reason for the misery of people who deserve justice. People involved in human/sex trafficking, drugs, prostitution, terrorism… The list of crimes goes on.

They broke my wings but they forgot I have claws.

The hunters are a nightmare in the underworld. We're faceless, we're the devils to their imaginations.

Me and Cade were the only ones who survived. We escaped and built this organisation together to take our revenge. Over the years, we have grown a bond, that of brothers. But unfortunately, for the first time, I'm going to hide something from him.

He'll know when it's the right time, but right now, I alone have to execute the plans I have set.

Everything is ready, I'm just waiting for her to fall in the trap.

I smirk, the taste of vengeance seeming so close, even though far. I'll never forget those days of my life. I'll never forget the screams and begging. And the oath i took to fucking burn them down to the ground.

 And the oath i took to fucking burn them down to the ground

A TWIST OF FATE || RewritingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara