Ch. 12 || The Ring

Zaria 🌹

I finally took a bite of the chocolate cake I had been eyeing the entire time of my book event.
I just finished an interview and book signing that lasted 2 hours. My hands hurt, my legs ache from standing in these heels and I'm hungry.

"Finally! It's been so long, guys. We have a lot to catch up." Evelyn said as she sipped on her wine.

She is an author who is famous for her fantasy novels. We've known each other for 2 years, and are great friends.
She's the most enthusiastic and bold person I've met.

"I agree." Cora said from the seat across as she curled the strands of her golden-brown hair in her fingers.
"How about we go for a night out?" Caroline said from my right.

The event was full of authors for interviews, book signing and Q & A. All the guests and fans had left, leaving the hall for authors to relax and chit chat with faint music playing in the background.We four sat at a corner table for four.

"Let's go then. I've been through some really tough shit in the past 2 weeks. I need something to distract my mind."

"The news is true then..." Cora slid a look towards Evelyn.

"Girl, you're going to marry Damien Erik." Said Evelyn.

"That's the problem." I sighed.

"Wait! You were dating The Damien Erik? I didn't know you knew him!" says Caroline.

"Well..." I take a minute to think exactly what to tell them, "I know you date before you marry someone but apart from the fact that he was Thia's boss, I didn't know Damien. Long story short, it's an arranged marriage."
Everyone's jaw dropped in surprise.

"An arranged marriage with Damien Erik. You're so lucky" Cora said.

Only if she knew.

"But wait, what does he look like?" Caroline asked.

Before I could open my mouth, Evelyn jumped in, "Sin in suit." I can't help but agree. For all the anger I have for him, one can't deny he is hot.

She continues, "I've seen him at a couple of events. He had each woman in the room drooling over him. He's true to his powerful and ruthless reputation. I even saw someone faint at the sight of him. God, I wish I had x-ray vision to see what he packs inside his suit. I am sure it's a body to be worshiped." She was practically swooning at this point. And I couldn't disagree with her. Damien Erik is a sight for sore eyes.

"Eve, you're married." Cora reminded her.

"Too bad. But now I can live vicariously through her." She winked at me.

We all laughed so hard that some of the other people gave us a side-eye before resuming their conversations.

"But seriously, Zaria, you got a jackpot in terms of looks and riches." Caroline remarks while wiping the water from her eyes.

"Only if." I murmured loud enough for them to hear.

"What do you mean?"

"We don't even know each other and the guy doesn't even try. And he gets on my nerves. So much, I might murder him in his sleep within the first week of living together." That's almost an exaggeration. Almost.

"Why did you agree to this marriage then?" Cora's tone is concerned.
"Family business" is the only reply I have and thankfully they don't press.

"Anyway, I wanted to invite you all to my engagement party this Saturday." I announced and all of them looked at me with surprise.