thirty-five.

❝grief is the great unifier

grief is the great unifier.
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"BONNIE! HOW'S CAROLINE?" Elena and Charlotte stop in the hallway of the hospital in front of the witch, who faces them with teary eyes.

"She's weak. They don't know if she's gonna make it,"

Charlotte turns away, pressing her hands against her face roughly as emotion swells up in her.

"What?" Elena's voice echoes quietly, disbelief lacing the word. "Is there something you can do, like– like a spell, or something?"

"She doesn't know how," Damon's voice startles them all, and Charlotte goes to give him a small smile in greeting that falters when she sees the odd look on his face. "Do you?"

Bonnie looks unhappy to see Damon in general, but she looks even more put out at the thought of him being right about her powers. "No, I don't."

"No, you don't," He repeats. "Because it took Emily years to learn a spell like that."

"Yeah, well I can take down a vampire. That spell was easy to learn."

"Enough, both of you," Charlotte cuts in, giving them both warning looks. "We need to focus on saving Caroline. She can't– she can't die."

Damon turns towards her, voice lowering. "I can give Caroline some blood,"

"No. No way," Elena immediately shakes her head, looking at Damon.

"No, just enough to heal her," Damon quickly assures, his focus still on Charlotte. "She'll be safe in the hospital and it'll be out of her system in a day. She'll be better."

Elena sighs, looking at her sister. "You have to admit it's risky,"

"It is," Charlotte agrees, looking apologetic. "But do we have any other options?"

"Do it." Bonnie's agreement startles them all, including Damon, but the witch just looks at Elena. "This is Caroline, okay? We can't let her die."

Bonnie looks back at Damon, repeating herself. "Do it."

The vampire narrows his eyes at the witch. "If I do this, you and me," He gestures between them. "Call a truce?"

"No," Bonnie says easily, shrugging. "But you'll do it anyway. For Charlie."

Charlotte's brows furrow, and she looks at Bonnie, who spares her an apologetic glance.

Elena heaves a sigh, crossing her arms over her chest. "Let's go. I don't want to leave Matt by himself."