thirty-eight.

❝fear decides❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

fear decides
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"SO THIS IS WHAT YOU TWO DO WHEN YOU'RE PRETENDING LIFE IS NORMAL,"

Elena startles at Damon's sudden presence at the table but Charlotte doesn't, though her pencil does drag along the piece of paper she'd been taking notes on, ruining her neat handwriting. She shoots Damon a glare with no heat behind it and sets about erasing it, ignoring his amused smile.

"What do you want?" Elena and Charlotte's voice overlap, and Damon blinks rapidly at the sound before shaking it off.

"Figured I'd check in on everyone's favorite doppelgängers, see how you're doing," He looks between the two of them, shrugging as he takes one of the fries out of Charlotte's discarded basket and pops it into his mouth. "Sorry to interrupt study group, I'll be on my way. See you at Jenna's barbecue!"

Charlotte slaps a hand down on his arm as he goes to push away from the table, halting him in his tracks. She fixes him with a somewhat stern look, looking back at the chair he'd barely stood from. Damon sits back down silently, though his smirk grows on his face at Charlotte's prolonged look, like she can read his devious mind just from this.

He'd be screwed if she could.

"Why do you know about Jenna's barbecue, and why are you coming?"

"Because I came up with the idea for it, duh,"

Charlotte glances at Elena, who looks surprised, but is happy to take the passenger seat to this ensuing conversation. Closing her eyes to gather her thoughts, she lets out a long sigh and opens them to meet Damon's eyes again. "Explain. Please."

Damon leans his elbows onto the table, dislodging Charlotte's hand on his arm, making her quickly retract it and drop it into her lap almost shamefully. "Jenna went to high school with Mason Lockwood, so I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know the guy. So, I told Ric to tell Jenna, and–"

"Does Jenna know you're coming? Because I really don't think she likes you that much,"

A waitress approaches the table before he can answer, setting a box down in front of Damon who takes it with a quick thanks.

"I'm hoping this peach cobbler will pave the way,"

Charlotte's brows twist on her forehead as she frowns. "You could've just made a peach cobbler, I think. I could've made a peach cobbler, that's– okay," She waves a hand, clearing her own distracted thoughts from the air. "What are you planning? You have your... planning face on."

Damon looks entirely too pleased for her liking, and she knows she has a long day ahead of her. "I'm gonna put some silver into Mason Lockwood and prove he's a werewolf."