nine.

❝ignorance is bliss❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

ignorance is bliss
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A LOUD BANGING ON HER BEDROOM DOOR WOKE HER FROM HER FITFUL SLEEP. Though she was annoyed at the abrupt awakening, Charlotte was more than happy to be free of her torturous subconscious. Sitting up with a groan, she gestured to her closed door. "Come in, I guess!"

Elena came bursting into the room, a sheen of tears on her face that made any residing exhaustion in Charlie's mind dissipate immediately. "What is it? What happened? Is everyone alright?"

"Did you know?"

"What? Elena, what are you talking about? It's the middle of the night,"

"Charlotte," Elena stood at the end of her bed, her fists clenched as she tried to sort through the onslaught of emotions she'd been going through for the better part of the evening. "Did you know that Stefan and Damon were vampires?"

Charlotte's jaw drops, but she quickly clamps her mouth shut, her brain suddenly blank of any and all responses. She stares helplessly at her sister, blankets pooling around her waist as she sits up fully. "Elena,"

The younger twin shakes her head, her identical brown eyes suddenly glassy with tears. "Did you know?"

"I'm," Charlotte lets out a shaky breath, her apology obvious in her eyes already. "I'm sorry, Lena,"

Elena's chest stuttered around a sob and she shook her head, stepping away from her sister as she stood from her bed.

"Elena, please, just let me explain,"

"No, no, don't. Just don't, Charlotte." Elena held her hand out, her fingers shaking as she withheld her tears. "You're my sister, you're my best friend. And you knew this whole time, and you didn't tell me? What– What if something happened? What if they attacked you and you were just written off as another animal attack? And you just– you let me be with Stefan knowing that he was–"

"What was I supposed to do, Elena? Tell you not to date him because he could snap and kill you at any second? You wouldn't have believed me!" Charlotte held her hand to her chest, her desperation obvious in her posture. "It wasn't my secret to tell, and even if it was, how do you tell someone that?"

Elena stiffened her chin, hurt shining in her eyes. "I would've believed you, Charlie. If it were anyone else, maybe not, but you," She shook her head, another wave of tears pooling in her eyes. "I tell you everything, Charlie. I guess I was wrong to think you'd do the same, even after everything we've been through."

Charlotte's shoulders slumped defeatedly, guilt heavy in her chest as she took another step that Elena backed away from defensively. "Elena, please, I'm sorry. I was just trying to protect you,"