thirteen.

❝what's to come, i don't know❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

what's to come, i don't know
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"MATT?" Charlotte approached the blond boy, her brows furrowed in confusion as she took in Caroline's slumped form. "Is she okay?"

Matt shrugged, sharing her concerned look. "She's pretty drunk,"

Caroline gasps lightly, sitting up as she registers Charlotte's presence. "Charlie, I'm sorry I'm such a bad friend,"

The Gilbert girl's frown deepened and she shot a look over her shoulder at Cory, who was waiting for her to return to the dartboard. She waved him on, and he shook his head briefly before turning away to continue the game. "What are you talking about, Care?"

"I'm so shallow," She shakes her head, her voice trembling along her slurred words. "I'm not– not deep, I'm like kiddie pool shallow."

Charlotte reached for her hand, clasping it tightly. "You're not a bad friend, Care. We all still love you, no matter what."

"I think she should get home,"

Charlotte nodded at Matt's words and she let go of Caroline, gesturing behind her. "I'll go with you, just let me get my stuff."

Matt nods and he stands, attempting to help Caroline as she stumbles to her feet. The drunken teen wobbles and Matt catches her, heaving her up into his arms easily. Caroline brushed her hair off her face and gave Matt a small nod. "I'll meet you out there,"

She watches them walk off, and then turns back through the crowd, making her way to Cory. "Hey, I'm going with Matt to take Caroline home."

The boy's brows furrow and his eyes dart to the exit Matt had just carried the blonde out of. "Is she okay?"

"Yeah, I just think she had too much to drink. Will you take my car when you leave? I just don't want to leave it here overnight," She pulls her keys out of her back pocket and he takes them, giving her a nod.

"I'll probably leave soon, I can stop by Caroline's and pick you up." He sniffed, looking around the crowd with a sheen of disgust. "Besides, the only hot guys in this town are into you and your sister. It's no fun for us normies."

Charlotte rolled her eyes, giving him a scolding look he shrugged off. "I'll see you later. Don't wreck my car."

Without waiting for his undoubtedly snarky retort, she headed out the door, ducking past the two police officers that seemed to be blocking it off. A swirl of anxiety washed through her stomach and she stepped outside, the brisk fall air sending a chill through her.

The sight that greets her is unexpected, but nauseatingly familiar. The flashing red and blue lights glare in her eyes and she squints, adjusting to the darkness as she spots a familiar face. "Sheriff Forbes? Is everything alright?"