two.

❝a family thing❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

a family thing
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"ARE YOU REALLY THAT DRUNK YOU CAN'T EVEN OPEN THE DOOR– SHERIFF FORBES?" Charlotte stopped short, her hand wrapped around the doorknob as she frowned at the sight of the teary-eyed woman. "What happened?"

"There's been an accident."

She feels her heart plummet and she laughs uncomfortably. "W–What do you mean? An accident?"

"Elena is being looked over in the hospital right now, but Charlotte," Liz Forbes stops again, swallowing roughly. "Your parents, they– they didn't make it. I'm sorry."

The girl says nothing, but her brows furrow confusedly as she tries to process the woman's words.

"Charlotte?"

Elena– accident– parents– gone–

"Charlotte, are you alright? Charlotte–

"Charlotte!" Jeremy's voice came from the closed door, and she reached out of the chilled water of the bathtub, pushing herself back above the surface. "Come on, I need to brush my teeth!"

She groans, pushing her wet hair off of her face. "Go use Jenna's bathroom, idiot!"

"My toothbrush is in there!"

Her eyes flickered from the bathtub to the counter and she rolled her eyes at the sight of his green toothbrush. "Crap– just give me like two minutes!" She lunged forward and unstopped the drain, letting the tub begin to empty.

Charlotte stood, water sliding off of her skin as she stepped over the porcelain siding and onto the bath mat, wriggling her toes around on it to dry them off faster. She grabbed her towel and wrapped it around her body, reaching for a second one to wrap her hair into.

Her dark eyes shift to look at her reflection and she heaves a sigh, wiping at the remnants of leftover mascara smeared beneath her eyes. Belatedly, she holds up finger guns at her reflection and grins overly-sweet, before the expression falls.

Charlotte turns and swings the door open, meeting Jeremy's annoyed stare with the same practiced smile her reflection had just had. "All yours, Jer-Bear."

Jeremy groans and rolls his eyes, pushing past her. "Don't call me that."

"Don't be such a downer! It's the first day of school, Jer-Bear, it's a glorious day!" Charlotte's laugh echoes over Jeremy's muffled response, and she shuts the bathroom door behind her as she walks back into her bedroom.

She shuts her door tight and stands at the foot of her bed, placing her hands on her hips. "First day of school," She mutters to herself, glancing at the mirror hanging on her wall. "Can't wait."