twenty-eight.

❝non-negotiable

non-negotiable.
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

CHARLOTTE WAKES WITH THE WARMTH OF THE SUN COMING THROUGH THE WINDOW ON HER FRAME. When her eyes clear of her grogginess, she sees the angle of the sun and figures it's at least noon, if not later. She can't remember the last time she slept that much, but then again, she hadn't stayed up until 4 a.m. since middle school, either.

When she shifts, her mind suddenly recalls what she'd been dreaming about and her dark brown eyes shudder with distaste, deepening with the ghosts of the past that were very much still alive. She'd gotten used to dreaming about her parents, that was almost expected after everything. They hardly bothered her anymore. But the dreams about the people that were still alive– those are what haunted her. What covered her in a blanket of chills that this warm sun could barely touch, even at its peak.

Charlotte shivered, and pulled the blanket tighter around herself.

"Good morning, sunshine," Damon's voice echoes slightly as he comes through the doorway of his closet, sliding his arms into the sleeves of his leather jacket. "I wondered if you were ever going to wake up."

She hums low in her throat, shifting on the pillows to look at him as he draws closer. "Thanks for letting me stay."

His brows twitch, like he wasn't expecting that to come out of her mouth. Like he's somehow still surprised by the size of her heart, and the full depth of her forgiveness and warmth. He's always taken off guard by her, even still, so he defaults to his standard smirk. "Well, I wasn't going to let you two leave. I'm admittedly irresponsible, but I'm not stupid enough to let you drink and drive."

Her lips twitch, the barest hints of a smile pulling at them as she looks up at him. "Is Cory alive?"

"He's had at least four cups of coffee, so if the hangover doesn't kill him, I'm sure that his inevitable cardiac arrest will."

"Where is he?"

"Downstairs, in the kitchen. Cleaning up the mess from last night, and hopefully not pilfering through my things."

Charlotte throws the blanket off of her body and swings her legs over the side of the bed, stretching her arms up over her head with a soft groan as her bones pop. Her sock-clad feet fall on the hardwood floors, and she stands before him with a small smile. "Do you want to go to the Grill? Cory always demands a burger and fries for a hangover meal."

Damon's bright eyes twinkle with distant amusement, and fondness. "If you wanted me to pay for your lunch, all you had to do was ask, Charlotte,"

The girl scoffs, turning to shove at him as she begins to walk out of his room, Damon following close behind with a laugh at her reaction. "You know that's not what I meant, but now you can pay for me."