fifteen.

❝the secret's out

the secret's out.
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"ELENA, IS THAT YOU?"

Charlotte's frown formed visibly on her features as she glanced over the couch, tearing her eyes away from whatever soap opera rerun she'd turned on, despite not paying it any attention.

Her sister came down the hall and Charlotte immediately spotted the tear tracks on her cheeks, spiking her alarm instantly. Twisting around, she leaned over the back of the couch, reaching for her sister's arm. "Elena, what happened? What's wrong? I thought you were staying the night with Stefan,"

Elena latched onto Charlotte, taking in a deep, shaking breath. "I can't– Katherine,"

Charlotte's frown deepened as she searched Elena's distraught face. "What about Katherine?"

"We look exactly like her, Charlie," Elena whimpered out, tearing her hand away from Charlotte to hide her tears.

"Stefan and I, we had–" She inhaled sharply, cutting herself off as a wave of disgust rolled over her. "And I was looking at this book on his desk and a picture fell out– a picture of Katherine, from 1864."

Dread pooled in Charlotte's stomach and she dug her fingers into the fabric of the couch. "So, we share some similarities to this girl. We're not exactly the most unique looking girls out there, Lena,"

"No, you don't understand," Elena shook her head, her voice trembling. "It's not just similarities, we look exactly like her. You look exactly like her. The same eyes, lips, nose, your hair– Charlie, your hair is curly like hers. It's like looking in a mirror."

"And you didn't," Charlotte shook her head, sliding off the couch to come stand before Elena. "You didn't know before you'd already done it?"

Elena shakes her head and Charlotte's warm eyes flood with pity, and she wraps her sister in a protective embrace as she begins to cry again. Charlotte holds her sister and smooths her hair comfortingly, her eyes set harshly on the front door at the end of the hall. "You should go upstairs and shower, Lena, and go to sleep. You need to relax."

Elena nods and Charlotte pulls away from her, using the pads of her thumbs to wipe away the tears under her eyes. "You're gonna be okay, Elena. I'll make sure of it."

"I know," Elena murmurs, gratitude in her tired words. "I know you will, Charlie."

Silently, Elena stepped past her sister and trudged up the stairs, leaving the eldest daughter stewing silently in a pot of emotions she felt in her chest. Letting out a scoff, Charlotte's gaze shot to the front door again and she blindly stormed towards it, sliding her feet into her shoes and grabbing her keys off of the hook.