eight.

❝in over my head❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

in over my head
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I FEEL BAD."

Charlotte sighed, shifting in the overstuffed chair as her therapist peered curiously at her stiff posture, a clear sign of her discomfort at actually sharing during a session. "I mean, I don't even know Damon that well. I shouldn't have said all of that stuff to him, it was just rude,"

Mary stayed silent, urging Charlotte on.

"Seriously, who just tells their sister's boyfriend's brother that he's a sad, lonely person that no one can stand to be around? I just– I feel bad."

Mary shrugged, somewhat agreeing with Charlotte's sentiments. "Perhaps some of it was unprompted, yes, but you did say that he started it. All you did was fight fire with fire, and while it's not the smartest choice to make, it's better than not expressing any emotion, right?"

"If it were literally anybody else, I'd agree, but Damon is different." She shook her head, anxiously picking at the skin around her nails. "I mean, I wouldn't even be surprised if I was wrong. He could very well be a total sociopath for all I know, and now I've provoked him. I'm probably going to get myself killed,"

"Well, I wouldn't go that far. I don't think Damon's a killer,"

Charlotte snorted at the irony.

"You know, Charlotte, sometimes the things we recognize in others are the things we choose not to see in ourselves." Mary raised a brow, her words cryptic but pointed enough to lead Charlotte down the bumpy path of her own emotions. She'd gotten used to the therapist's methods over the months. "Maybe that's why you're so upset, because you know that deep down, you do what Damon does."

"But I– I'm not rude. I've never been like that, I was taught better than that. My parents taught me to be kind, no matter what,"

"Whereas Damon hides behind his callousness, you hide behind your kindness. They're two sides of the same sword, Charlotte. I think that you and Damon might have more in common than you think, you just aren't willing to admit it yet."

"I don't think I'd ever want to admit it,"

Mary regards her words with the same level of severity she does with everything else Charlotte says. "Why not?"

"Because I don't like Damon," She whispered, suddenly horrified at the realization. "And if we are that much alike, then it doesn't just mean that I don't like Damon. It means that I don't like myself."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I don't know what to do, Charlie," Elena sighs, laying back on her sister's bed while she watches her hang up her clean clothes. "I just feel like he's never being honest with me. I mean, all he does is avoid my questions, and I get we're not that serious yet, but if he expects to get serious, how can I give that to him if I don't even trust him?"