ten.

❝humanity❞─── ・ 。゚☆: *

humanity
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"CHARLOTTE, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" Elena reached for her sister, dragging her into a relieved hug that Charlotte reluctantly returned. "I've been worried sick,"

Charlotte pulls away from Elena to hug Jeremy, squeezing him tight in a silent apology he easily accepts. "I spent the night at Cory's, but I'll be home tonight. I didn't think you'd be here tonight, Jer,"

He shrugs, darting his eyes away from her to look around at the students gathered at the school. Charlotte narrowed her eyes at him suspiciously, following his frantic gaze. "I wasn't, but, uh, Elena convinced me."

"She did?" Charlotte's lips twisted into a slight frown as she glanced at her sister, her suspicion rising with Jeremy's poorly feigned excuses. Quickly shaking her head, she gave Jeremy a knowing look as she hooked her arm with his. "Right. Of course she did. Come on, Elena, let's go inside."

Jeremy clenched his jaw and she smiled sweetly up at him, a look on her face that meant he'd obviously been caught in his lies.

Nodding slowly, confused, Elena leads her siblings into the school, looking around at the decorations that had transformed the sterile hallways of their school into a flashy haunted house.

Matt approached them, his eyes set firmly on Elena, and Charlotte pulled Jeremy back a bit as the two began talking. She sighed when she saw the irritation in her brother's eyes and fixed the fake glasses sitting on her nose. "She's here, isn't she?"

Jeremy rolled his eyes at her prodding, but he nodded, knowing there was no use in lying to Charlotte. "Look, I'm– I'm just gonna talk to her for a minute and make sure she's okay."

Charlotte heaved a sigh, but stepped out of the way to let him pass by. He sent her a look of gratitude and she quickly yanked him back, a stern look in her eyes. "Promise me if she starts acting weird you'll leave,"

"What? Charlie–"

"Promise me, Jeremy. The second she does something weird, just walk away."

Jeremy's brows furrowed at the pleading tone in her voice and he couldn't help but nod, a new swirl of anxiety suddenly rolling through his stomach at the thought of whatever may have Charlotte so scared. He rolled his shoulders back and tucked his hands in his jacket pockets, stepping past Matt and Elena to walk further into the party.

"Hey, where's he going?"

"To talk to Vicki," Charlotte kept her tone purposefully blasé, giving her sister and Matt a once over. "You guys better not let Caroline see you in last year's costumes, she was on one about Bonnie not dressing up at school earlier."