Summer Before Sophomore Year- 2

Chapter 17

The day after the concert is the first day Theo and I don't talk since we first met. I'm too hungover and worn out from the late night to realize and I'm sure Theo is busy like usual.

The next day, I wake up to go work out like I'd done every other day this summer. I leave the gym absolutely drenched in sweat, just the way I like it.

When I look at my phone, I see I have two missed texts. One is from Theo and the other is from Cody. I check Cody's message first. He wants to go to the mall later today. I eagerly text him back, letting him know I'm down to hang out.

I open up Theo's text next and all it says is for me to call him when I get a chance. It's a bit strange, but I quickly shake off that idea, pressing call on his contact.

"Hey Ava," he answers.

"Hey, babe," I respond with a smile on my face. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to check in with you since we didn't talk yesterday. How are you feeling?"

"I'm doing great. I just finished my workout and I'm going to the mall later with Cody."

"Oh, you're hanging out with Cody again?" he asks though he sounds a bit put off.

"Yeah...is there something wrong with that? You know Cody is my best friend. We see each other almost every day."

"Of course," he acquiesces. "Look, there's something I wanted to talk to you about, Ava."

I realize it's weird he hasn't called me babe or baby yet. He keeps calling me by my first name. Something is really off.

"With me going abroad, I don't want to hold you back from going out and having fun," he gets right to the point. "I care about you so much and sometimes if you care about someone, you have to let them go for a bit. It's going to be hard to stay in contact and I don't know what my life is going to be like in Scotland. There'll be a time change and you'll be busy with the volleyball season. I just think we should put our relationship on hold for now and revisit it when I'm back in the winter."

I'm completely dumbfounded. I thought everything was fine. Why is Theo doing this? Everything was going well. I know we hadn't seen each other yet this summer, but it was only a matter of time until we did.

"Ava, say something, please," Theo pleads.

"Why?" is the only word I can get out.

"Ava," Theo sighs. "You have so much in front of you and I don't want to hold you back."

"I just don't understand, Theo. I thought everything was good between us, great even. Where is this coming from?"

Theo sighs but doesn't say anything. The line is silent for a moment before he says, "I just realized something the other day and I think it's better if we're just friends for now. I can't be with you without being physically with you and that's just not going to happen right now. I care about you so much, Ava and I hope we can try this again in a few months. I'll wait for you. You don't need to wait for me. I would understand if someone else swooped in and started dating such an amazing girl like you. But I'll wait for you, baby."

By now I'm absolutely bawling. I can't get any words out and I can hear Theo sniffling through the speaker as well. Why is he doing this if it's just hurting both of us? I try to ask so much, but I can't form any real words.

After a few minutes, my sobs have gotten quieter and I can finally catch my breath. "I don't want you to leave me, Theo."

"I don't want to leave you either, Ava. It's just what's best for both of us right now. Goodbye, Ava," he says before the line goes dead.

I'm in my car in the gym parking lot absolutely bawling my eyes out. I can't remember the last time I cried like this, but it's absolutely gut wrenching.

I call the first person I can think of and he answers on the first ring, "Hey Aves, what's..." he trails off as he hears my broken sobs through the phone.

"Ava! What's wrong? What happened? Are you okay? Where are you?"

All of his questions come out one after another and I can't figure out which one to answer. The only word I can get out is, "Theo."

"I'm on my way," he says before hanging up.

Cody is there within minutes. He parks his car next to mine and opens my door to pull me out of my car and into his arms.

"Shh," he coos in my ear. "Shh, Ava. Everything is going to be okay."

He holds me in his arms for what feels like hours, but is likely only a few minutes. His shirt is soaked by now with my tears and unfortunately my sweat as well, but he doesn't seem to care. All he cares about is being there for me in this moment.

"You're in no state to drive right now," he says. "Why don't we go for a drive in my car and you tell me about what happened?"

I nod numbly and he leads me to the passenger side door of his car. I get in and he rushes around to his side, getting in and starting the car right away.

"Tell me what happened, Ava. All I know is this is about Theo, but what did the bastard do to you?"

"He's not a bastard," I sob. "He broke up with me."

"Oh, Ava, he doesn't deserve someone as wonderful as you if he's willing to let you go."

"How wonderful can I be if my first boyfriend broke up with me after less than two months? I'm a relationship failure. Always have been, always will be."

Cody pulls his car off to the side of the road and turns to look at me. "I know this hurts now, Ava, but I promise you, you're amazing. Any guy would be lucky to have you. Theo is an asshole and he doesn't know what he's missing by letting you go."

"He said it's because he's studying abroad and that he'll wait for me. He's not going to though. He's going to find some gorgeous girl and when he comes back to school I'll be heartbroken all over again."

"You don't need to wait for any guy, Ava. If he really cared about you, he'd make it work. Trust me. A guy who wants to be with you will make it happen no matter the odds that are against him."

I cry for a bit longer and Cody continues to soothe me, telling me all the ways he thinks I'm amazing. It helps some to alleviate the pain I'm feeling deep inside my heart.

After an hour, I'm feeling completely worn down from all the crying I've been doing. It's time for Cody and I to go home.

"We can go to the mall another day," Cody says as he drives into the gym parking lot for me to get my car.

"Okay," I say. I've run out of energy to do or say much of anything at this point.

"Make sure you eat lots of ice cream and rest, okay? You call or text me if you need anything and I'll see you tomorrow."

I pull Cody into a big hug thanking him for being such an amazing friend. He holds onto me a bit longer before letting me go. He wipes the final tears away from my eyes and gives me a soft smile.

"You're gonna be okay, Ava. Everything is going to work out."

I hope Cody is right because right now it feels like nothing will ever be the same again.