XLIX

A Severed Bond

"Aren't you afraid of death?"

"Sasuke..." Naruto mumbled darkly. He then shifted his sharp gaze onto Sasuke, his eyes filled with a deep disappointment.

"Sakura is a fellow ninja from Team 7," he scolded, his voice tinged with a sense of betrayal.

Sasuke replied with a smirk, his gaze clearly showing his contempt. "'Was' a fellow ninja. I no longer belong," he stated coldly, further deepening Naruto's disappointment.

"Naomi, he's not the same Sasuke from years ago. his intent to kill is real, how can you be so sure he won't betray you or pull you deep into his revenge?" Kakashi calmly stated, he stare at Naomi's eye which Naomi immedietly breaks their eye contact.

Hearing his words, Sasuke began to reminisce about Yoru's advice

"Would you really be willing to risk involving her in a life full of endless revenge?"

Yoru's words continued to echo in his mind, reminding him of the endless cycle of revenge and the risks it posed to her. He knew he had to make a difficult choice, especially after he had just killed Danzo. He had eliminated one of Naomi's biggest threats, and he didn't want to become one himself. He couldn't bear to involve her any longer in his revenge scheme.

Hearing Kakashi's word, Naomi clung to Sasuke's sleeve, wanting to express how she put her trust in Sasuke for she believe that would never hurt her. But before she could say anything, Naruto decided to step forward.

"Sasuke," he called out. Sasuke remained silent yet his word have sucsessfuly bring him to reality once again.

"I heard the truth about Itachi from a guy named Tobi," Naruto said cautiously. His words sparked curiosity among the group, but Naruto kept his composure. "I don't know for sure if what he said is true or not, but it doesn't matter. What you've been doing is understandable." Naruto's words hit his companions like a bolt of lightning, leaving them shocked and speechless.

Naruto continued, "I hope you'll consider the impact it'll have on Naomi, I don't want to see her get caught in the crossfire of your revenge. She cares about you deeply, and I believe you care about her too."

Sasuke's expression appeared calm, but Naomi could see his hand trembling and how he clenched it tightly, a clear sign that Naruto's words had triggered his anxiety. His eyes burned with a fierce intensity as he retorted, "Naruto, I told you before. You don't have parents, so you couldn't possibly understand me." His teeth were gritted, and his voice carried the weight of his pent-up frustration. "So outsiders can keep their mouths shut!" he shouted at Naruto, his anger boiling over.

Sakura couldn't remain silent any longer. She quickly stood up from her position, her voice filled with frustration and concern. "Do you know what Naruto has gone through for you!? No matter what rumors we hear about you, he never stopped thinking of you as a friend," she shouted at Sasuke. Then, she shifted her gaze toward Naomi, her eyes softening with sadness. "Naomi, come home. Don't fall into the same darkness as Sasuke" she pleaded, her voice filled with genuine worry.

Sakura's words hung heavy in the air as her impassioned plea echoed. "While everyone targeted the both of you... Naruto alone tried to rescue you both! Even now," she finished, her eyes filled with hope as they stared directly at the couple, wishing for them to finally come back to the light.

Sasuke's response was a simple, dismissive "Tch." He tilted his head slightly and looked at Sakura with an expression that questioned her words. "Rescue me? From what?" he asked coldly, as if he couldn't comprehend the sentiment behind her words.